250 GTE floor

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Howser

250 GTE floor

Post by Howser »

I had some requests for images of the floor cross section. These images are of the area directly under the driver and passenger seats. I tried to get a much detail as I could but the saw distorted some of the sheet metal as it passed through. The top layer of insulation looks to be some kind of loose fiberglass with an aluminum layer in the middle. The bottom layer of insulation is some sort of semi rigid foam. If anybody would like specific images, let me know.
Matt
Attachments
1111.JPG
1111.JPG (111.11 KiB) Viewed 7906 times
111.JPG
111.JPG (137.61 KiB) Viewed 7907 times
11.JPG
11.JPG (129.07 KiB) Viewed 7905 times
Tom Wilson

Re: 250 GTE floor

Post by Tom Wilson »

Wow, that's interesting! No wonder they all rust.. We have a big sponge in the middle of the floor! Is there a similar system by the rear seats or is it flat metal? I have heard about this system, but this is the first time I have seen photos. Thanks.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
william

Post by william »

Hi Tom,

only metal under rear seats..
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

I guess as with all things Ferrari, variation is the rule rather than the exception.

When I redid my floors on 4969 there was only a top layer and bottom layer of metal sandwiching the fiberglass. There was also a sort of cross brace that was under the seats and had holes of for (I guess) seat belt anchors. The bottom metal was like an upside down cover for a metal container that was tack welded on four sides under the driver and three sides under the passenger - no sealing around the edges and even if there was, the holes for the seat belts were unplugged. Needless to say the fiberglass acted like a sponge and the bottom sections were badly rusted. Fortunately the uppers were in very good shape. But there was no middle layer of metal and no foam rubber and finally no evidence that the panels had been replaced before.

Michael
Howser

Post by Howser »

Only a single layer underneath the back seat is the same in my car. The floor underneath your feet is double layered with no space between the panels but when you get to where the floor meets the firewall, the firewall is double layered with insulation between the panels all the way up to the bottom of the cowl.

t
Attachments
firewall1.JPG
firewall1.JPG (125.25 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
firewall.JPG
firewall.JPG (117.88 KiB) Viewed 7596 times
kare

Post by kare »

Howser's car is not showing the floor structure but the inner box section located next to sill. Many sheets making up the sill structure come together here so it is pretty complicated to figure out how these cars were actually built.

I also think that the sponge is not part of the original structure. Hard to say how the car was repaired, but looks like the bottom sheet was screwed in place.

It kills me that cars this healthy are scrapped for replicas. First it was TRs, SWBs and GTOs. Now it is all about California Spiders, none of which will ever drive or look like a real thing. What's next?

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
250GT

Post by 250GT »

kare wrote:Howser's car is not showing the floor structure but the inner box section located next to sill. Many sheets making up the sill structure come together here so it is pretty complicated to figure out how these cars were actually built.

I also think that the sponge is not part of the original structure. Hard to say how the car was repaired, but looks like the bottom sheet was screwed in place.

It kills me that cars this healthy are scrapped for replicas. First it was TRs, SWBs and GTOs. Now it is all about California Spiders, none of which will ever drive or look like a real thing. What's next?

Best wishes, Kare
I am with the same opinion.
there is normally only one(1) room under the chairs and filled with horsehair ( rosshaar)
this material can be found in very good isolated mainly prewar covertible hoods
nowadays diffucult to find such a compeny who used this.
the foam will melt away fast just above the hot exhaust.

"Whats next?" the price of GTE will arise upwards

C.
steve lapp

Post by steve lapp »

The foam material looks to me like isocyanurate insulation foam, which certainly was not invented when that floor was made, and the fact that the self tapping screws are shiny makes that whole layer appear added very recently.

Cheers
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)