Painting "the car"

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Re: Painting "the car"

Post by Tom Wilson »

Looks great Andrew! I noticed you put one Ferrari logo on before making the trip home. Saves you answering a lot of questions...

Keep posting your progress.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Great looking car, Andrew. Keep us posted.

john
PF Coupe
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Hey Andrew:

Grandma never looked so great. Congrats! So, did you ever confirm that this was her original color?
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
abrent

Post by abrent »

Hey David,

Yes I did confirm that this was the original colour, we painted some test panels and compared them to cleaned and polished sections that we found during disassembly, and it all matched.
All the research I did on paint color codes was really a time wasting exercise, all I really learned was that till about 1965 Pininfarina would crack open a tin of paint and spray the car, then someone would write the color on the build sheet according to the swatches that were circulation at the time. There was no real way, that I found, to match a color back to what they sprayed at the factory using research and codes - you have to *hopefully* have a section of metal that was the original color. I left some panels unpainted with the words *from the factory" in the hidden parts of the car for someone in the future to "discover".
Yes - the old girl does look a bit better now doesn’t she.

Later.