Daytona Oil Filters

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Paul

Daytona Oil Filters

Post by Paul »

Some background: I did not spin on these oil filters to tight. They are Baldwin filters. Following their instructions I went one turn more after the filters just touched the mating surface. To remove these filters, using the conventional oil filter wrench (like the one in the tool kit) both filters will not budge. Obviously they are on too tight in spite of following the directions. I was told to puncture the filters with a screw driver and use the screwdriver as a lever. That just tore a horizontal hole in the mid portion of the right filter about 1/4 of the way around. I have left the other (left) filter alone after the experience with the first filter. Any suggestions before I get myself into more trouble? Thanks.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Paul,

If the screwdriver trick doesn't work, try getting a good oil filter wrench that has the strap that tightens as you turn and get it on the base of the oil filter. The strongest part of the oil filter is the base where the sheetmetal is crimped to the body of the filter.

Good luck.

Tom
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Paul,

With a propane tourch gently and slowly heat the canisters. You need to do it slowly so that the heat will find its way to the rubber filter seals and make them expand and soften. Next time try lubricating the seals and only hand tighten.

John Vardanian
Paul

Daytona Oil filter

Post by Paul »

Thanks John. I purchased a tool that has a belt ( like a seat belt ) that wraps around the canister. They both finally broke loose. Thank God. I'll take your advise and not tighten as directed. Paul
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Paul,

I'm glad it all worked out!

Tom
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Like stated always lube the gasket, AND the filter housing mating surface. I usually wipe each surface with a thin film of chassis grease. Jim Riff
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

For future reference, I use these cheapies with a rubber strap. They work great.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Where did you pick up that tool? Looks great? Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

I mean it looks great! Paul