Pertronix kit to replace points in S85

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Re: Pertronix kit to replace points in S85

Post by tyang »

My apologies to Craig trying to get real answers, but for Cornelis' sake, some cars at Pebble need a gentle push, but that doesn't make them less worthy cars! The Admiral's car is a perfect example!

Tom
500mondial21.jpg
500mondial21.jpg (261.47 KiB) Viewed 8418 times
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

tyang wrote:My apologies to Craig trying to get real answers, but for Cornelis' sake, some cars at Pebble need a gentle push, but that doesn't make them less worthy cars! The Admiral's car is a perfect example!

Tom
The attachment 500mondial21.jpg is no longer available

Excellant Tom,
dont push so hard next time ALU is sensible.
But even fore such rare race cars a Marelli starter exsist but cost raceweight. about 9 kg
must be operated by hand is placed inside interior on top of the gearbox.
pull the lever in front backward and he runs, thats no luxery.

Best
C.
Attachments
motaviamento F..jpg
motaviamento F..jpg (49.92 KiB) Viewed 8412 times
mark

Post by mark »

Hey Cornelis:

Are those original tires on your ride? The tread pattern looks very vintage.

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
Yale

Post by Yale »

Can't you tell? Those are Cornelis' off road tires!
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
250GT

Post by 250GT »

I think we lost the trace now compleetly of the Pertronixquetion
but as long as the modorator keep quiet here the answers for Yale and Mark.

Mark: It sounds maybe a bit overdressed/overdone but I use three dfferant borrani set of differant wetter situation
One set with Dunlop racing for fast cornering and dry weather situation( classic rally's etc)
One allround tyre for daily drive Michelin/ Engelberts all 6.00x16 excellant but they change the name now, Pilot X??
most people now decide a tire that has the best looking profile, not how they preform.
But most good looking barbie dolls do not have often the gualities/ feature like the less good looking women.
so I tied on the back a set of Avons .
http://www.classictyres.com/item/126/60 ... peed--6ply

Yale,
yes, with the first test drive with the Avons I landed in a winter corn field.
I was so confused that that could hapen to me.
it was not the fault of the Avons, but the fueltank(150 liters was empty): no down force at all, despite LSD(Lim slip diff)
I lost control.
a farmer got me out its a pity, I didnt make a pic but at that moment you have other problems.

Pour Craig,
Send me a mail I will have somewhere a NOS distributor so you can parting that one out, to repair the other two .
if the purist here allowe you, parting out stuff is in the meantime criminal, I understand.

What are that for paddles on the last pic Yale ?thanks
best to all
C.
Attachments
Avons
Avons
IMG_0110.jpg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 8378 times
stange paddles
stange paddles
IMG_0076.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 8378 times
Yale

Post by Yale »

You have a laser aligment set up and using dental tools for adjustment and new old stock ferrari parts for weights you alighn your 16 sets of wheels for each incremental weather or 10 degree temperature change. In fact this has become your new hobby.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
carello

Post by carello »

Yes, i think we have gotten off track here, but it is enjoyable to see you guys chatting at tomyang. Keep up the good work.
Too late for me, i ordered a Pertronix kit to try out on a pair of S85, converting the kit to one Marelli (one advance) and slaving the other.
Now my Pertronix question is the coils ......should i keep the stock 1967, square resistor, Marelli coils? Or will I need some other coils?
I believe the kit i ordered is Ignitor 1 type, so early Pertronix, .....should i keep the stock solid spark plug wires or go to carbon core?
What are you Pertronix users doing?
thanks
Craig
Attachments
MiuraCoil_2044a.JPG
MiuraCoil_2044a.JPG (107.92 KiB) Viewed 8365 times
S85Asize40.jpg
S85Asize40.jpg (139.3 KiB) Viewed 8365 times
mark

Post by mark »

My personal experience with the Pertronix system has been dogey, but it has been 10 years, and the subject vehicles were British. For my 365 gt 2+2
I was tempted but resisted, and bought a point file instead.

Cornelis: Too bad about your agricultural expedition, I'm sure the farmer was pleased to see something other than a tracotr i his field. The vintage tires certainly complete the look of the car, and add to the correct feel of the driving experience. I do wish you well on your journeys.
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
Timo

Post by Timo »

Craig,
to answer some of Your questions : Since the car didn't have its O.E. points, coils or ballast resistor to begin with (which would have been my preference) and owners wish to retain some sort of electronic ignition system instead, the combination I ended up with had aftermarket (1.4 - 1.5 ohm) coils from previously installed (Crane ?) electronic ign. set-up coupled with aftermarket (1.4 - 1.5 ohm) ballast resistors.
And since You're going with this anyway, couple of suggestions I'd like to offer : Make sure that You get very good ground, not only to distributors housings, but all the way to modules through the mounting base-plates (= one of the culprits contributing to my head-aches). Also, check the direction of the taping on the magnetic wheel (=another head-ache), as it may be incorrect for Your application and can unwind itself during operation, causing surprising other problems. At least in my case, the wheels supplied with these set-ups were apparently originally intended for some other application, but with machined modifications and upside down mounting deemed (by Pertronix ?) appropriate for Daytona. End of the tape was incorrectly facing the direction of rotation and had come apart during operation. When I presented my (photo-documented) findings and corrected taping to Pertronix personnel, they insisted of re-taping them again for me, but apparently had not really paid attention, since they handed them back to me with again incorrectly taped (???).
I've tuned some Daytonas (and many other vintage and classic cars) with their O.E. ignitions and in all honesty can't see any benefits with these types of aftermarket conversions. To me, under normal (?) vintage car use, they represent same as, let say, when a person buys an aftermarket exhaust system because of the marketing claims of several HP improvement in power, which in real life the owner/driver can't really feel noticeable difference except perhaps in sound and that their wallet is now thousands of $'s lighter. Racing and extreme applications, of course, are different story.
Good luck and have patience.
Timo
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I have not used a Pertronix system in a Ferrari, but have in various other cars and used solid core wires with no problems.

One comment on converting a Daytona to aftermarket electronic ignition units. My experience has been that Daytonas do not have sufficient metal panels in the engine compartment to adequately absorb the "corona" from the spark plug wires and shield the ignition trigger wires from the distributors to the modules. The "corona" from the plug wires will effect the triggering of the units. This will cause all sorts of problems, cross firing, etc. We eventually solved it by using shielded wire for the trigger wires, then no more problems.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Craig,
as it probably has already become apparent, I'm not the greatest fan of aftermarket equipment unless they've proven themselves superior to sometimes inadequately engineered/produced O.E. items, but due to "on back-order" status of new Cavis-made plug wire set and to get through the process of elimination (of potential other "issues"), I opted to try/use Taylor 8.2 mm ThunderVolt wires, which feature similar internal design as Cavis (small conducting wire wrapped/coiled around carbon core) and have nice and appropriate red color but slightly bulkier grey boots (which can be camouflaged with some black heat-shrink tubing, if so desired). These wires require some work at the distributor ends to fit them in to cap holes, but seem like a good alternative. And just for the appearances sake, I did slipped the white Cavis sleeves and number rings on them. BTW, attached pictures do not feature these wires yet
DSCN0993 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN0993 (600 x 450).jpg (78.2 KiB) Viewed 8329 times
DSCN0966 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN0966 (600 x 450).jpg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 8329 times
Timo
Admiral Goodwrench

Post by Admiral Goodwrench »

One more apology to Craig for getting off topic but the photo Tom posted of the little blue car getting a gentle push on the thin aluminum at Pebble Beach requires a bit more explanation.

The starter worked just fine and as Cornelis noted it is a manual starter. The initial motion of the handle engages the bendix drive gear, and as the handle is pulled further it closes a massive switch which powers the starter motor. The photo below is what it looks like.

The reason for the push is a clutch issue. On my attempt to drive the Pebble Beach Tour on the Thursday before the Concours I ended up far back in a line of old touring cars which with their 80 pound flywheels had no difficulty at all climbing the various hills around Carmel at 4 miles per hour. My competition motor is not happy under 3800 and I almost burned out the clutch. I opted out of the Tour and a tow truck was called. The rule at Pebble Beach is that a car must cross the ramp under its own power to be able to collect a trophy. My most helpful unofficial pit crew were simply ensuring that the clutch would not have quite as hard time to get moving on that last vital journey.

Best regards,
Attachments
motor side view.jpg
motor side view.jpg (165.35 KiB) Viewed 8304 times
Starter.jpg
Starter.jpg (128.73 KiB) Viewed 8304 times
Robert
500 Mondial SII 0556(0446)/MD