Binicle Blues

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Pergolizzi

Binicle Blues

Post by John Pergolizzi »

Well Gents,
First post here! I and 9177, 1967 330 GT, moved back to Torino, Italy 9 months ago. Turns out she used to live here from new till 89! Anyway, after 10 years, I finally got around to taking out the clock and had the boys at Palo Alto Speedometer rebuild her. Now it's reinstallation time and it's not going too easily! Those two knurled nuts that live behind the binnacle to hold it in place that were so hard to get off (air conditioned car), are now even more difficult to reinstall! Any recommendations greatly appreciated before I crack?

thanks,

John Pergolizzi
Torino, Italy
tyang

Re: Binicle Blues

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

Believe it or not, it's sometimes easier to remove the adjacent gauge to get the knobs that are stuck. Sometimes you may have to start with the Speedo!

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

As Tom says, remove the tach. Also the glove box. Then be prepared to have a few cuts and grooves in your fingers getting the knurled nuts off.

Also, disconnect the battery unless you want lots of sparks if the ammeter wires get grounded.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

I also think a 12 point wrench will fit on the end of the knurled nut for more torque.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
giovanni44

Post by giovanni44 »

If I am understanding this correctly, you already have the gauge repaired and are attempting to re-install it. As mentioned previously by other members, disconnect the battery, remove the glove box and possibly one of the adjacent gauges to provide access to the gauge. Have you tried putting the knurled nuts in a tight fitting rubber hose of a convenient length and then using that hose as a "wrench" to get the nuts started, but taking care not to cross thread the nuts. If the nuts don`t go on easy and smoothly ,it`s not right.

Good luck,

John Viereg
330GT

Post by 330GT »

John, good point about the installation. I missed that.

I always found that putting the 4 gauge cluster back in easier than removing it (at least relatively easier). One thing that I've been doing on my car is to screw the ground wire down to another screw and not have try to use the stud with the bracket and knurled nut. Just one less thing in the way. About the time I would get the bracket, ground wire and the lock washer in place, I would bump the wire trying to get the knurled nut started. Then the washer would fall off. I probably have several loose washers in that area of the dash. Also having the clock wire disconnected makes it easier on the right end.

I'm not sure that a rubber hose will work, there's very little depth available. I have resorted to using duct tape inside out on a finger to hold a nut in place until I have it pressed against the stud it goes on.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Pergolizzi

Post by John Pergolizzi »

Well guys,
Thanks for the tips, but remember, I already had the speedo and glovebox out in order to remove the 3 gauge binnacle. And they have been waiting, loose, till after the clock went back in. It's now a "no room behind the binnacle" situation; even with the speedo and glove box out. The rubber hose and reverse duct tape will be the next attempt. Doesn't help that the cars storage is unheated and Torino is still in the 40ish degree range at night. The "magazzino" is actually in an old Fiat airplane motor factory. She has come back to her roots! Buona fortuna to me!