Best spark plug for 330 gtc

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Best spark plug for 330 gtc

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Which is the better choice for my 330 GTC, the BP6 or BP7ES? Car is driven about once a week, but only about 15 miles, and that's in 7.5 mile increments. thanx steve "never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it over"
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DWR46

Re: Best spark plug for 330 gtc

Post by DWR46 »

BP6ES is great for regular street and spirited road usage. You can use the platinum or iridium plugs, but in my experience, for Ferraris of this era, the regular plugs work well.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

Not that you asked, but I'm going to say it anyway. You've got to drive it more than that! That kind of driving can actually do more damage than good. The large capacity oil pan will barely get warm, and will not allow the condensation to boil off inside the engine. The moisture will also collect inside your exhaust pipes and rust them from the inside out. That's what happened with a Daytona Spyder we're currently working on. Take the long way home, and drive a little longer. She's begging you!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I know you're right, just don't seem to have the time to really get it hot and boil off that water and the little extra gas at start up. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hi Steve,
I thought you could answer that question your self,
In you`re position I would use that Vagcam to look in that black hole witch plug burns cleaner.
but with so much miles everything will be black, not rosa.
I am afraid.

C.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Still laughing. Too funny. Unlike my practice, I hope every "hole" is burning the same. s
steve meltzer,
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Steve Meltzer wrote:Still laughing. Too funny. Unlike my practice, I hope every "hole" is burning the same. s
Steve,
Not every hobby mechanic must buy such piguant Vagcam,to avoid trouble at home.
but an Interoralcam will do it also, and is sometimes VERY helpfull.

C.
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Steve,

Take it to work every now and then, particularly if a meeting is out of the office. A ding or two won't hurt and the car will be happier. I often use mine when I have client meetings out of town.

Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

I offer a spark plug horror story, though thankfully not in one of my Ferraris. Last year I swapped the plugs out in my Ford Expedition with Bosch 4 prong platinums The short version is on one plug one of the 4 prongs lost the last bit of its tip (the 60 degree bend to the end) all of 1/8th of an inch if that. The other three prongs were fine. That that tiny change in the spark pattern changed the cylinder's combustion dynamics resulting in overheating the intake (the cooler running valve) not the exhaust which means the temp spike was not uniformly distributed within the chamber and that intake valve head overheated and drooped (the “dish” of the valve increased) by .150 which killed that cylinder's compression. The result was a $4.00 plug, killed a $20.00 valve that cost $2000.00 to replace Ugh The shop who did the work said this issue is in fact not that rare, they see this in about one motor a quarter. I suspect the combustion dynamics in our vintage 12s is not so precise as the mixtures are so much richer that a similar failure would not create the same train wreck, but that is said without evidence. M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

that's just unreal and who'd a thunk that?! Amazing how sucha little change could wreak so much havoc. s
steve meltzer,
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

BrianP and the Admiral saw the plug and the valve and were amazed as well, M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193