Aerioquip hoses revisited

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

xs10shl

Aerioquip hoses revisited

Post by xs10shl »

It appears to me that the old textile R-12 Aeroquip 1540 hose for AC units is no longer available. Aeroquip has a replacement textile hose FC558 which is not available in the smaller diameters, from what I can tell.

Anyone recently spent time retrofitting their AC with new hoses, but period correct fittings?
TOMKIZER

Re: Aerioquip hoses revisited

Post by TOMKIZER »

I just bought a complete set of requirements for my Queen, based on the recommendation of a reputable Ferrari restorer. I'm using new reusable Aeroquip fittings and Aeroquip FC321-6, -8, and -10. It's LP Gas hose, and according to the restorer I talked to, works with R134A. It looks exactly like 1540. I expect it's not recommended by Eaton but probably works even if it doesn't meet their extreme test standards. Who knows for sure? Probably nobody! I spent a couple of weeks searching for the 1540 to no avail and got the same results as you with the other refrigerant hoses. Not all sizes are available.

Good Luck finding some new old stock.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Thanks Tom. What did you do about the compressor? Did you replace it with a new one designed to withstand the added compression of R134?
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

xs10shl wrote:Thanks Tom. What did you do about the compressor? Did you replace it with a new one designed to withstand the added compression of R134?
NO. When I bought the car 25 years ago, it had an 210 York compressor and a mixture of Gates rubber and original 1540 hoses. It had already been converted to R134a and worked fine. The original 209 compressor was in a box in the trunk. Winter of 2009/2010 I rebuilt the original 209 compressor seals, but it leaked again (purist becoming masochist). When I recently decided to restore the AC system, I just rebuilt the 210 again, repainted it, added an original style pressure switch, and screwed the 209 tag on it for the judges (no external differences - a little more capacity). A new dryer, expansion valve, FC321 hoses, and Aeroquip reusable fittings and it looks like Ferrari built it. Don't forget the little aluminum stamped tags for the hoses. I haven't yet charged it, so wish me luck.
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)