More on Ferrari Colors

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

treue

More on Ferrari Colors

Post by treue »

Greetings,

The restorer of 9129, Vintage Connection, is getting near the painting point. (There was a LOT of damage and mis-repairs to be corrected on the car.) I asked how to determine the original factory color in this website. Kerry kindly contacted Marcel Massini who looked through his records and found that the original colors were Argento 25090A (silver-gray metallic) with Bleu VM 3015 (blue) Connolly leather. Thank you Kerry and Marcel. We are not fans of silver or blue. John Harden’s (Vintage Connection principle) Maranello is a bright (a little yellow, no blue) red with a tan leather which I like, so I tend toward that combination.

My questions to the group: what color would you suggest and why? What are the pitfalls (besides cost) of a radical change in color? For concours must I stay with colors that existed when the car was built?

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
330GT

Re: More on Ferrari Colors

Post by 330GT »

treue wrote:Greetings,
...My questions to the group: what color would you suggest and why? What are the pitfalls (besides cost) of a radical change in color? For concours must I stay with colors that existed when the car was built?

Tom
The colors only have to be ones that Ferrari was using when your car was built for concours judging. So no metallic purples, etc.
For a list of paint colors available on 330 GTs, see http://www.330gt.com/Encyclopedia/PaintColors.htm
Leather: http://www.330gt.com/Encyclopedia/Leathers.htm

As far as my suggestions, you have already nixed the colors I think 330 GTs look best in, i.e. blues or silver. My next suggestion is a dark red with a tan interior. Yes, my car is bright red, painted that after I bought it. It was my first Ferrari and they are red, so that's what I painted it! In hind sight, I wish that I had kept it the original metallic silver color. The two colors I don't like a 330 GT in are yellow and white. I'm ambivalent about brown, green, gold and black.
Just my 2 cents, but hey, it's your car, paint it the color you want.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

treue wrote:Greetings,

The restorer of 9129, Vintage Connection, is getting near the painting point. (There was a LOT of damage and mis-repairs to be corrected on the car.) I asked how to determine the original factory color in this website. Kerry kindly contacted Marcel Massini who looked through his records and found that the original colors were Argento 25090A (silver-gray metallic) with Bleu VM 3015 (blue) Connolly leather. Thank you Kerry and Marcel. We are not fans of silver or blue. John Harden’s (Vintage Connection principle) Maranello is a bright (a little yellow, no blue) red with a tan leather which I like, so I tend toward that combination.

My questions to the group: what color would you suggest and why? What are the pitfalls (besides cost) of a radical change in color? For concours must I stay with colors that existed when the car was built?

Tom
Hi Tom,

I'm glad to hear you're getting closer to getting paint on the car!

My biggest piece of advice is if you choose a metallic, make sure the metal flakes in the paint is VERY FINE. Vintage Ferrari metallics are so fine you sometimes have to go up real close to see that it's a metallic. If the metal flakes are not the smallest available, the car will have a dazzle in bright sun that is not found on the original cars. Add a modern metallic with thick clear coat, and the cars start looking too modern.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
giovanni44

Post by giovanni44 »

Hi Tom,
MHO is that 330`s are too large a car to be in bright bold colors. Greys, dark blues, medium blues, browns,(not my choice) black and some greens appeal to me, but interior color should be taken into consideration for the final choice.

Best wishes on a tough decision.

Giovanni44
Timo

Post by Timo »

IMO, there are two questions one should seriously contemplate before choosing a color for any collector car in ones possession. Are you really planning to keep and enjoy the car for a long time after the runs have dried as this would allow more freedom for one to choose ANY color they want OR is there a plausible possibility for a desire to sell it within next few months/years, at which point it's advisable to choose a color that will PLEASE MOST of the potential buyers ?
Timo