0851GT (and other early PF Coupés)

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

kare

0851GT (and other early PF Coupés)

Post by kare »

0851GT is one interesting car! Sort of funny that it looks pretty standard to an untrained eye, but if you take a look any closer you instantly get the feeling that it was hand built to a very high standard with unique details here and there. I think the explanation is that it likely was!

Too bad both 0889GT and 0891GT seem to have been lost forever. Would be very interesting to see which of those unique details had already been changed and which were still there. Cornelis' set of pics showing 0891GT as a new car still give us some idea. At least the approximately 100 mm longer front overhang was still there...

Would also be very interesting to see pics of 0851GT "as found". Have never seen any but have understood that it had lived a pretty hard life. Thank You ("DWR46") and thank heavens it was saved!!! There are plenty of sharks out there, I'm afraid, who would have scrapped it without any second thoughts.

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
250GT

Re: 0851GT (and other early PF Coupés)

Post by 250GT »

Well the time of the sharks is over in my opinion.
Kare Qutation:
" There are plenty of sharks out there, I'm afraid, who would have scrapped it without any second thoughts."
For me is a bit suprising that so many- even consltants- are going on the barricades now ,who never owned a vintage car in the mid 80th
I was a student means- a low budget owner- then.
I simply could not afford a moter overhaul cost about 25K guilder(HFL) and waiting about one year for all parts.
I could NOT sell a good PF then for 15K Dutch guilders.
The value was counted then in a RUNNING engine and WORKING overdrive the rest was not worse any thing.
I was even happy to finding a car with a US-big block: that means the rest was saved.
So this attitude is a bitt narrow minded in my opinion.
To condem is so easy without having real backgrond or expierance.
Ask Ed Niles how he keep the cars on the road and safed so many rare cars !
The same thing can be said of the "importance "of matchingnumbers madness.

best
Cornelis
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

0851 was the prototype PF Coupe. It has many unique features. For the entire history and the restoration story, you can read the three part article Sue wrote in Cavallino's # 43,44 and 45.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Yes, I found and bought those three issues for that reason, she did a great job of it.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

http://web.me.com/djaffrey/Registry/Home.html

I thought I would post this. 0851GT is misplaced in the website. It should be under "Speciale".

john
PF Coupe
djaffrey

Post by djaffrey »

John

As soon as I return from vacation I will move it on the site to its correct location...

Hope all is well.

Darren.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Darren.
PF Coupe