Ballast resistor for 330 gtc

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Ballast resistor for 330 gtc

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Forgive me for X-posting this. I finally determined that a bad ballast resistor and probably weak coil has prevented all of the left bank from getting any fire. Apparently, according to Geoff at Partssource, this part is no longer available. Any ideas for a remedy? Is there a coil available that doesn't require a ballast resistor? Can they be rebuilt? thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Re: Ballast resistor for 330 gtc

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Steve, it's a 1.5 ohm, 200 Watt resistor. You can get one from the parts store if you are not concerned about aesthetics, otherwise you may search ebay for exact replacement. Other Italian cares made use of those resistors.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

John, thanx. Since it's nearly impossible to find a ballast resistor, I'm goin' with the Bosch Blue coil that has an internal resistor. The car is a nice driver, not show and already has the wrong fans. Probably better than the original, certainly cheaper than any other possible option and much easier to install. If I were trying to impress the experts, maybe I'd see it differently. thanx so much for your input. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Steve, check out these items on ebay:

john
PF Coupe
kare

Post by kare »

Most used resistors come out of various Alfas, Lancias and Fiats so the ohm-rating may vary. They were made in millions (600'000 for Fiat 125 alone), so the prices are... hmm... interesting. Correct price for a dirty old coil with all accessories is around 20 euros or so.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx John, WOW! The prices from "Dallas Greg" are makin' me think about dismantling my GTC and retiring. s
steve meltzer,
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, I bought the Bosch Blue coils and painted them cherry red (closest thing to original on the shelf at Home Depot!). They look great and the car is now running on all 8, oops I mean, 12 cylinders! A bench test of the ballast resistor on the affected side confirmed the diagnosis: it was DOA. thanx for the tip. s
steve meltzer,
hgraham

Post by hgraham »

I'm curious if Steve or anyone else has an update or any tips on replacement coils. On my test drive yesterday, the passenger side cylinders ceased firing in a small town with no cell phone reception about 25 miles from home. While the drive home on 6 cylinders was adrenaline-filled, it wasn't the kind of same kind of rush I was hoping for.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Bosch blue coils and gather that they have an internal ballast resistor. Are those fine to wire right in place of the original coils without negatively affecting the points, or are they used when changing over to electronic ignition? Is there a specific model of Bosch blue coil that is preferred or is there only one universal model?
1966 330GT #8553
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... Bosch blues work very well but check to make certain they have 3 ohm resistance. That means they have an internal resistor and can be used without the external ballast resistor. Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

As noted, the Bosch Blue with internal resistor, is the way to go, I think. Straight swap in my GTC, using points. (In my Daytona, I put in MSD boxes and use their "Blaster" coils.) While you're at it, might want to paint them and get the correct decals, tho' you can hardly see them. Parker Hall has the decals. I had so much fun doing the coils the first time, that I decided to do it over again to put on the decals!

Got my coils from International Auto Parts, 800-726-055 <www.international-auto.com>
They have a cool catalogue of Alfa, Lancia and Fiat parts....you'll envy the reasonable prices those guys charge for those parts, not like buying Ferrari parts.
Part number is: 0120

I have a good coil with resistor, if you're interested in going that route. Send me a PM if you're interested. steve
steve meltzer,