Talbot, Raydyot mirrors for Ferrari

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

carello

Talbot, Raydyot mirrors for Ferrari

Post by carello »

What are the correct external mirrors for 250, 275, 330, 365 street model Ferrari?
Talbot?
Raydyot?
What period documentation is available for review to confirm the most common applications?
Any documentation to discuss the 1960's Talbot mirror models? 300, 311, 333, 366?
Green dot, Berlin, silver dot, black dot, stamped.
My interest are actually the years 1964 thru 1969, but not limited.
Is there an Italian brand of period mirror that I am forgetting? French?
Thanks
Craig
Attachments
1968mirrors.jpg
1968mirrors.jpg (154.38 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
330GT

Re: Talbot, Raydyot mirrors for Ferrari

Post by 330GT »

For 330 GTs, the most common mirrors are the Talbot Jr with just the stamped logo and a simpler mirror as shown:
OutsideMirror_small.JPG
OutsideMirror_small.JPG (2.27 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
OutsideMirrors_small.JPG
OutsideMirrors_small.JPG (3.14 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
I don't know who made these mirrors, but they do come up on eBay periodically.

See http://www.330gt.com/Encyclopedia/Mirror.htm for more information and lerger pictures.

BTW, Talbots are available through a company in California:
http://www.talbotco.com
I also noticed that they carry now Vitaloni mirrors, like the California model used on early 308s. In particular, they have the RH side model. I had to buy mine from UK Ferrari since no one had that side here. Of course, in the UK, that would be the driver's side so replacements were available.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
250GT

Post by 250GT »

330GT wrote:For 330 GTs, the most common mirrors are the Talbot Jr with just the stamped logo and a simpler mirror as shown:
The attachment OutsideMirror_small.JPG is no longer available
The attachment OutsideMirrors_small.JPG is no longer available
I don't know who made these mirrors, but they do come up on eBay periodically.

See http://www.330gt.com/Encyclopedia/Mirror.htm for more information and lerger pictures.

BTW, Talbots are available through a company in California:
http://www.talbotco.com
I also noticed that they carry now Vitaloni mirrors, like the California model used on early 308s. In particular, they have the RH side model. I had to buy mine from UK Ferrari since no one had that side here. Of course, in the UK, that would be the driver's side so replacements were available.

The description of the mirrors on there side is not very detailed or secure.
http://www.talbotco.com/talbot_mirror.htm
The diameter measured including surrond is 10cm (junior) and 12mm (senior)
they probebly produced them new.
The Sebring is called made by Vitaloni, but were original made also in Germany by Engelmann see org embalage
ciao
C.
Attachments
IMG_0359.jpg
IMG_0359.jpg (56.12 KiB) Viewed 8271 times
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0357.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 8271 times
IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0356.jpg (64.87 KiB) Viewed 8271 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Differant diameters Junior versus Senior

C.
Attachments
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg (61.26 KiB) Viewed 8269 times
carello

Post by carello »

1968 publication showing a stem mount type mirror. So who makes this mirror? What is it?
Yes, it looks like a generic sedan type mirror you would find on a Lancia. I think i see i lot of these in service.
Cheers
Craig
Attachments
1968FerrariStemMirrorS.jpg
1968FerrariStemMirrorS.jpg (126.88 KiB) Viewed 8253 times

Post by 8339 »

I could be competely incorrect, however my understanding is the Ferraris in the fifties and sixties did not come with side rear view mirrors, they were added here due to DOT laws. The mirror shown on the 365 California Spider appears to be a Lucas style mirror available through any of the dozens of British Parts houses. The problem with the Talbot bullet style mirrors is they are not very usuable as a rear view mirror. I have one on my Giulietta Sprint Speciale and it's barely usuable at best, it looks good, but when I get the chance to paint the car it will go away and I will probably fit a Lucas style mirror to the doors.
carello

Post by carello »

8339 wrote:I could be competely incorrect, however my understanding is the Ferraris in the fifties and sixties did not come with side rear view mirrors, they were added here due to DOT laws. The mirror shown on the 365 California Spider appears to be a Lucas style mirror available through any of the dozens of British Parts houses. The problem with the Talbot bullet style mirrors is they are not very usuable as a rear view mirror. I have one on my Giulietta Sprint Speciale and it's barely usuable at best, it looks good, but when I get the chance to paint the car it will go away and I will probably fit a Lucas style mirror to the doors.
I will agree the usefulness of "racing bullet mirrors" is limited, much more practical to use a stem mounted mirror. But that being said...I would like more education on 50's and 60's era cool looking side mirrors that were commonly used on Ferrari, dealer installed to meet regs, i think so.
Here is a Cornelis photo to allow an understanding of Talbot 300-301-302 mirrors. All the same mirror, simply different mount schemes.
I believe the 301 was the only option, during the 60's, for no internal access. I notice the instruction sheet has misprints, but the pictures are worth learning.
300 for flat with rear access
301 for flat no access
302 for a peak mount with access
all these could have been Jr or Sr
I dont think they were called "Berlin" in the 60's
I don't think there was a green dot logo introduced until the mid 70's
I could be wrong about all of this. Somebody help
Craig
Attachments
300_301_302_InstructionsCornelisB.jpg
300_301_302_InstructionsCornelisB.jpg (177.23 KiB) Viewed 8174 times
carello

Post by carello »

If you think a Talbot is useless, then wait till you try a Vitaloni Sebring.....hard core "looking good"! These have got to be worth their weight in plastic. I love 'em. They look cool.
I dont have Vitaloni catalogs from 60's. I think the Vitaloni Sebring was the first model, and then the Vitaloni Sebring Mach 1 was added concurrently. I believe the Sebrings were metal pressure cast housings, some had short stem? Mach 1 is a different story.
Not sure.
Attachments
Sebring_0359.jpg
Sebring_0359.jpg (77.12 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
carello

Post by carello »

Can anyone provide details about a common mirror (pictured below) found on many Ferrari? This mirror appears to be sold by Alfa dealers, then and now, as well. Who manufacured this mirror? part number, model name?
Attachments
FerrariAlfaMirrorKerryC.jpg
FerrariAlfaMirrorKerryC.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 8138 times