A big step forward for 4247 GT

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

A big step forward for 4247 GT

Post by Tom Wilson »

Last Monday, Electro Tech, in San Marcos, CA took 4247 GT into their blasting booth to remove an '80's Earl Scheib paint job. All in all, we were very pleased with what we found. Very little rust, primarily in the rocker panels where we expected it to be. There were some pinholes in the back 6" of the rear floor panels, but we were going to replace this small section anyway because of aftermarket seat belt holes. We will also remove much of the lead work, just to make sure there is no rust underneath.

Due to the multiple layers of paint, we opted to blast with garnet. This turned out to be a good idea, as the primer was a real chore to remove. We were worried about the damaging the doors, trunk and hood, so we are chemically stripping them before cleaning them up with the blaster. It can be seen from the inside of one door that it has had some bondo work, so I am waiting to find out how bad that is.

As the car is being restored as a driver, not a show car, we chose to leave the undercoating in the rear of the car. It was in good shape and we felt that removing and replacing it was not the best use of my limited dollars. It will get another coating when we are done. I figure that as long as I keep the shiny side up, I will be just fine!

The interior of the passenger's compartment and trunk were given only a light blasting, just to remove any loose paint or left-over padding and to rough up the primer to receive another coat. These areas will be completely covered when interior is done, the original primer is good and there is no sign of rust, so taking them to bare metal was also deemed an unnecessary expense. The engine compartment, however, was blasted clean, with extra care given not to damage the aluminum panels.

As we knew from the beginning, there was damage to the front right corner, which probably necessitated that crappy silver paint job. This area will be straightened out and a two short frame tubes will have to be replaced.

Again, we were very happy with the results. I am not sure if Zac has ever seen so much useable sheet metal on one of his restoration projects! We have to fix a couple of dents, redo the door and front corner, but other than that, the car is in great shape.

As we speak, 4247 GT is at the shop of Peter Hogenes in Vista, CA where it received its primer coat the same day that the blasting was completed. Peter painted Scot Oshry's GTE, so I am confident that it will look fantastic in its new (original) Bianco livery!
Blast.jpg
Blast.jpg (108.26 KiB) Viewed 15524 times
I am glad that I did not choose to do this job myself!
Clean.jpg
Clean.jpg (147.07 KiB) Viewed 15524 times
Sweet!
Lead.jpg
Lead.jpg (202.65 KiB) Viewed 15524 times
The lighter areas are lead from the factory.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Tom Wilson

Re: A big step forward for 4247 GT

Post by Tom Wilson »

One thing that I found to be particularly interesting were the factory welds. Some of the complex curves required a number of panels to make them work. They may not be easy to see in these photos, especially in the damaged area, but are quite visible when you see them in person.
Front Right.jpg
Front Right.jpg (186.27 KiB) Viewed 15523 times
Rear Right.jpg
Rear Right.jpg (95.97 KiB) Viewed 15523 times
zac

Post by zac »

Good Reporting Tom, and yes this car was one of the more rust free Ferraris that I've seen in a long time. I am just happy it started out as a complete car so at least we know all the pieces are there, the last 6 or 7 cars I have done have all come in boxes so just knowing the parts are there is a welcome relief.

I have to go over to Peter's right now to pick up some other stuff so I will take a few pictures of your car in her new battle ship grey primer color. Peter also asked that I bring the old floor skins over so he can make/install those and than pull the car off the rotisserie.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Great job Tom ! I am sure that you are feeling tremendous excitement as a big job is done and real progress has started.Good luck and keep the pictures coming. Regards, Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Pinin Wilson

Post by Pinin Wilson »

This is such an exciting development! The pictures look great and it really is fantastically well preserved- I know you were worried about what else what hidden behind that cheap paint job! I can't wait to visit to see its progress next month!
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

I am really confused by this post. Is that really Tom Wilson's car??? It looks like there is actual progress being made??? It must be Zac's influence. Holy crap Tom will have a vintage Ferrari to DRIVE soon, not just look at bits of one in his garage!!!
Well done Tom. Great that the car looks to be in such good shape under the old paint. Please keep posting updates. I think white GTEs look very smart. Will it be bright white or does it have a very slight greyish tinge?
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks for sharing Tom. This promises to be a great thread.

john
PF Coupe
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Thanks all. Zac is not only encouraging, but he also knows how to put the darn thing back together, which certainly ups my courage level. As for the color, it will have a slight gray tinge. Using the pininfarina color codes, we got a refrigerator white, which did not match the original dashboard at all. We sent the glove box door out to be matched, so will hopefully do better this time.

Zac reported in tonight that both doors have had considerable work done to them, but the trunk and hood are good. Two doors and the front right corner... How do you do that?
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

For those not familiar with the color scheme, this is where we are heading:
0 Sloper1.jpg
0 Sloper1.jpg (73.24 KiB) Viewed 15487 times
0 Sloper4.jpg
0 Sloper4.jpg (75.01 KiB) Viewed 15487 times
250 America 5035 GT
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom Wilson wrote:One thing that I found to be particularly interesting were the factory welds. Some of the complex curves required a number of panels to make them work. They may not be easy to see in these photos, especially in the damaged area, but are quite visible when you see them in person.
Front Right.jpg
Rear Right.jpg
These panels were all gas welded and planished by hand. The body panels were done by the welders with more skill than the ones that did the floor pan welds. I love seeing these cars stripped to bare metal because you can really see the hand craft that went into building these cars. Every hammer mark was made by craftsman plying their trade at the Pininfarina factory.

Congratulations on the progress!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
kare

Post by kare »

Tom Wilson wrote:Two doors and the front right corner... How do you do that?
Kid releases hand brake when car is sitting on top of garage ramp with both doors open...?
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Tom
That white with a slight grayish tint is fantastic. So elegant. I think it suits the GTE very well. Much better than an "arctic" pure white. Keep the photos coming Tom. Congratulations to you and Zac on the progress. This is why we like these old cars. Driving them is great but stories like this make the cars "come alive". Well done. Plenty of guys are cheering (and making smart arse comments) from the sidelines.
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
Al Pezzella

Post by Al Pezzella »

Great to see progress guys, I have to say that making progress was the most exciting part of the restoration and I know that Zac is the man to have.
Talk about stories with handbrake being released, I had a heart stopping experiance two weeks ago. I was winching the car off the trailer and all of a sudden the winch grear let go. I stood there watching my car fly off the trailer, down my driveway into my wood pile and then through my wood fence, it was a miracle that it went between the fence posts. After I shocked myself with the difibulator, I pushed the car out of the fence, seamed to have a few scratches but after waxing they all came out. This is all after my full restoration including a 30K paint job.
Keep the pictures coming, it's going to be great.
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Here’s a cheer and a some smart arse comments!

(Smart Arse Comment) - Help! Somebody get me some coffee. I must have dozed off. I dreamed that I just saw a photo of Tom Wilson’s 4247GT with a new coat of primer – actually getting better, no longer slowly rotting away with age.

(Cheer) - Tom, you and Zac) are to be congratulated. I have no doubt it will be beautifully done and a piece of art to be proud of.

(More Smart Arse Comments) - When you first started talking about 4247 on this site (2001 or 2002), my queen was in about the same shape as 4247, except I had more rust, and I didn’t even know about TomYang.net. My queen is done and gone on to someone else now, and I’m starting over again.

To give you some additional incentive to get 4247 ready for Cavallino 2012 or or at least FCA2012, I’ll race you to completion and give you a head start – kind of. You’re ahead of me right now, as you can see in the photo of my brand G (still coming apart), but I plan to be done with the restoration, inlcuding the engine, by May 2012. I’m behind right now, but at least parts are still available for mine. That’s why it’s a “kind of” a head start. I’ll continue to follow your progress on Tom’s site, but I won’t clutter up the site with progress on a non-Italian project. When I get mine done, I’ll post a final set of a few photos. I’m challenging you to finish before me. Remember – May 2012!

I won’t be able to see your car at FCA2012, since California is the other side of the western hemisphere from snowy Québec, but maybe we can meet half way at the FCA 50th anniversary Annual Meet in 2013, if I’ve still got my license and I’m not driving a wheelchair by then.

Here’s the starting point of my challenge to you.

Tom Kizer
Attachments
Wilson's Challenge.jpg
Wilson's Challenge.jpg (189.19 KiB) Viewed 15353 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Don't take the bait Tom W! Tom K. is RETIRED! What else is there to do besides collecting his pension checks and working on his Merc?

Tom Y.
'63 330 America #5053