Heat shields

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Heat shields

Post by 365 »

I have a 1968 365 GT 2+2 European version.
I need the spark plugs heat shields the part # 20386 and 20385. Someone knows who can manufacturing or might have a couple of used tehm.
Regards German
John Vardanian

Re: Heat shields

Post by John Vardanian »

PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRARI- ... 3cbc8f7436

Will this work?
No, these are early 250 heat shields with the 6-1 headers. 365 heat shields are shaped differently.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

if you could find someone willing to loan you a pair, maybe you could make a template and have them fabricated. Paint with some self etching primer, the VHT wrinkle paint and you'd be home.
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Post by tyang »

Steve Meltzer wrote:if you could find someone willing to loan you a pair, maybe you could make a template and have them fabricated. Paint with some self etching primer, the VHT wrinkle paint and you'd be home.
The deal with the exhaust heat shields is they're more complicated than they first appear. They're double skinned aluminum with a fiberglass sandwich. The 250 and 330 2+2 shields are easier to make than the 330GTCs and 365s because the spark plug holes are dished more on the later shields. 1100 series aluminum has to be used to get the aluminum to stretch far enough to make the shape.
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari176.htm
Can you keep a secret? We had a budget set made for an owner's GTC by making it out of one layer of thicker aluminum. After it was painted in Wrinkle Black, only a very sharp eye could see it wasn't the same as a correct one. The bends and scallops still required the hands of our metal fabricator.

I have fiberglass molds made for a 330GTC to guide a fabricator, but not a 365...yet

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Timo

Post by Timo »

tyang wrote:They're double skinned aluminum with a fiberglass sandwich.
Having never myself closely studied this era Ferrari heat shields, I was just wondering if they actually utilise "fiberglass", instead of asbestos, which would make more sense and was commonly used in these and many other types of heat insulation efforts up until late '70's and early '80's ?
At least the Daytonas I've worked with, the insulation material inside the heat shields on the engine bay side of the firewall and inside the heat shields of U.S. market headers seem to be some asbestos based stuff and I've always treated it as such.
Just curious.
Timo
Timo
tyang

Post by tyang »

Timo wrote:
tyang wrote:They're double skinned aluminum with a fiberglass sandwich.
Having never myself closely studied this era Ferrari heat shields, I was just wondering if they actually utilise "fiberglass", instead of asbestos, which would make more sense and was commonly used in these and many other types of heat insulation efforts up until late '70's and early '80's ?
At least the Daytonas I've worked with, the insulation material inside the heat shields on the engine bay side of the firewall and inside the heat shields of U.S. market headers seem to be some asbestos based stuff and I've always treated it as such.
Just curious.
Timo
Hi Timo,

It probably was Asbestos, but I don't touch the stuff!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
mark

Post by mark »

I can offer my heat shields on a loaner basis. They are the U.S. version with slots for the air injector lines, but the overall form is the same as euro. shields.
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
Greg Brendel

Post by Greg Brendel »

This is my listing on ebay but can somebody tell me what Ferrari these are from?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMESE%3AIT
tyang

Post by tyang »

Greg Brendel wrote:This is my listing on ebay but can somebody tell me what Ferrari these are from?

Nope, these are not the heat shields that go over the exhaust headers. They're front fender splash shields.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Greg Brendel wrote:This is my listing on ebay but can somebody tell me what Ferrari these are from?

Mudpanels placed inside front wings dont look factory produced to me.
not heat shields of course.

C.

Post by 365 »

mark wrote:I can offer my heat shields on a loaner basis. They are the U.S. version with slots for the air injector lines, but the overall form is the same as euro. shields.
Dear Mark.
Sorry I did not answer you before.
Very gratefull for your help. But I live overseas and once I find someone that can fabricate the shields in the States ( I am still looking for that business or person) I will let you konw. iI you know anybody, it will be perfect because you wil be in control of your parts. I will you tranfer the money for all your troubles and expenses.
I am very, very gratefull for your help, please let me konw, my E´mail german8080@hotmail.com

Best regards German A.
Sorry for my English

Post by 365 »

mark wrote:I can offer my heat shields on a loaner basis. They are the U.S. version with slots for the air injector lines, but the overall form is the same as euro. shields.
Dear Mark.
Have you recived may mail.