Trim Pieces below the rockers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

abrent

Trim Pieces below the rockers

Post by abrent »

In a recent post Tom pulled the trim bits below the rocker panels off a GTE - these run each side of the car. I recently sent mine off to be straightend and polished.
Couple of questions.
Is a bright gloss polish anodising the correct finish.
Anyone sourced/has available/made/saw once in a shop/ the square head bolts that fix these pieces to the car.

Regards,

Amdrew.
tyang

Re: Trim Pieces below the rockers

Post by tyang »

abrent wrote:In a recent post Tom pulled the trim bits below the rocker panels off a GTE - these run each side of the car. I recently sent mine off to be straightend and polished.
Couple of questions.
Is a bright gloss polish anodising the correct finish.
Anyone sourced/has available/made/saw once in a shop/ the square head bolts that fix these pieces to the car.

Regards,

Amdrew.
Semigloss black! No polish.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: I do not pretend to be a Pininfarina body expert, however the original ones I have seen over the years were surprisingly glossy. They were at least as well polished as the exterior paint on the cars.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Dyke,

Hard to say, the one's I took off 2259 seemed to still have it's original paint on them and although pretty worn and chipped seemed semi gloss.
Now it's in a place that sees a lot of road debris, and can get dull over the years, but...

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: I went back and reviewed photos of new cars and will revise my description to a "soft sheen" finish. It was defintely shiny enough to reflect the flash bulbs of cameras. These photos were of PF Coupes, 250 GTE's and 330 GT's. Now when you get to the 275 and 330 GTC/S, I will agree that the trim strip is a "satin " finish that is closer to a "flat" look than it is to a "glossy" look. We all really need to get a real life instead of these cars!
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

From Tom's photo these look like the trim strips that run along the lower part of the sills of the car. I've not heard the term 'rocker' for this part of the body before.

Anyway - my car was missing the sill trims when I got it and after 16 years I guess I could make a pair!

Would someone please tell me the strip dimensions - width of the strip and thickness at the centreline - so I can find material as close as possible to 'correct'?

How does the fixing work? Are the threaded studs/bolts welded or brazed in? Are they loose in a profiled channel, retained by the head shape? If the latter, how is the rounded end of the part made?

Any help appreciated, many thanks,
Terry Gardiner - SN 4681
kare

Post by kare »

Terry Gardiner wrote:Would someone please tell me the strip dimensions - width of the strip and thickness at the centreline - so I can find material as close as possible to 'correct'?

How does the fixing work? Are the threaded studs/bolts welded or brazed in? Are they loose in a profiled channel, retained by the head shape? If the latter, how is the rounded end of the part made?
Wedge shaped screw heads are held by the profiled channel. The ends must have been pressed to be round but am not sure how there were made. I can send you pics and measures in a few days unless somebody else has them at hand! Best wishes, Kare
tyang

Post by tyang »

Terry Gardiner wrote:From Tom's photo these look like the trim strips that run along the lower part of the sills of the car. I've not heard the term 'rocker' for this part of the body before.

Anyway - my car was missing the sill trims when I got it and after 16 years I guess I could make a pair!

Would someone please tell me the strip dimensions - width of the strip and thickness at the centreline - so I can find material as close as possible to 'correct'?

Any help appreciated, many thanks,
Terry Gardiner - SN 4681
Hi Terry,

I have a set off a car, but it will have to wait until next week for me to photograph them for you.

They are extruded aluminum pieces with a channel on the back to hold a "t" shaped bolt that allows them to slide along the back to line up with the mounting holes in the pinch weld of the car. If you're making these pieces from solid aluminum, you can probably permanently fix the studs into the trim piece lining them up with the car exactly.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Pictures:

I'll take some pictures of the back side of the piece next week.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Here is what they look like on a PF Coupe. Probably similar if not identical.
IMGP1319_small.jpg
IMGP1319_small.jpg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/P ... ldTrim.htm for more pictures and what I used for the T-bolts.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

Hello Tom - next week is plenty soon enough after 16 years of waiting to attack this job. In the meantime I'll look around for some profiled and channeled stock material.

Hello Kerry - good photo. Now I know what I'm looking for.

Great responses from the guys on the site, as always.

Cheers,
Terry Gardiner - SN 4681
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

And thanks to Kare too, of course.
Terry Gardiner - SN 4681
tyang

Post by tyang »

330GT wrote:Here is what they look like on a PF Coupe. Probably similar if not identical.
IMGP1319_small.jpg
See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/P ... ldTrim.htm for more pictures and what I used for the T-bolts.
yes, it looks to be the same profile on the GTE. I'll photograph the ends next week.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
kare

Post by kare »

330GT wrote:Here is what they look like on a PF Coupe. Probably similar if not identical.
IMGP1319_small.jpg
How generous off you to saw one of your strips into two pieces to show profile! Was just about to do the same!
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
abrent

Post by abrent »

Hi Guy's,

So what I gather is:
1. These are a black satin finish, not polished like I see in most photos.
2. No one supplies the "T" head bolts, you gotta make em.

Good result - as always. Thanks for everyones input.

Regards,

Andrew.