its Done

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mdempsey

its Done

Post by mdempsey »

Well the wife and I drove the car from DC to San Diego................delivered to Zac and his agents for..................PAINT...........story of trip with pics to follow. DC to the Biltmore-through NC and TN mountains to sons house in MS. Lunch in New Orleans (K Pauls my favorite restaurant in the world) - on to family in Dallas - then to Tucumcari, NM (old RT 66) - Albequerque - Sedona (unbelievable) - Palm Springs - over the mountain to San Diego. Awesome trip. 3500 miles and only two small problems - popped an ignition fuse at the biltmore and center carb needed a wack when we stopped in Winslow, Az to stand on the corner. everyone should do a trip like this at least once. 7 days and about 500 miles a day. This is a solid car..........

Now what color. Some sort of light metallic blue is what I have in mind. Pics and input welcome.
mdempsey

Re: its Done

Post by mdempsey »

sorry the car is a 1969 365 GT 2 + 2 SN 12065
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Now, that is a trip that you'll remember and share.

There is thread on FChat that shows color pallets for the 60's cars. There are a few very nice blues.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

PF Coupe
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

Great trip. That is something I always wanted to do. Do you have any photos to share?

Cheers Jim
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Well done Mark and Queen
This is a great colour. It is a very pale blue. I don't know what it is but can find out.
Attachments
McKay Rally 028.jpg
McKay Rally 028.jpg (146.72 KiB) Viewed 11228 times
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

I hope to put together some pictures and a story soon. right now catching up at work.
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

John both those colors are very close. I have a little time so I'm sure we'll change our mind 500 times.

I kind of like the color shown here:
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

ok lets try this:
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (197.73 KiB) Viewed 11213 times
sam231

Post by sam231 »

:) Well done Mark! Proving once again vintage Ferraris are meant to be driven.

How about Azzuro Hyperion - PPG/Italver 2.443.648/106-A-32 - a more turquoise blue.

Cheers.

Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

That's my man! I envy you. Balls like THIS, brains like this! If I still had my queen or if my Pagoda was finished, it's the kind of trip I would love to take.

How about Grigio Ortello 2.443.813? It would look even better with your black leather. I know you want something like light blue, but I think the queens always look better in something darker. The tiny cars look good in light colors.

By the way, I think you should get a BIG trophy just for that trip. You have my admiration, as you always have had.

Grigio Ortello queen Photo at Cavallino 2010 by ConceptCars.com

Tom Kizer
Attachments
Cavallino.jpg
Cavallino.jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 11204 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Hey Mark - Sorry to have missed you when you were in Southern California. Well, I am sure there will be many more times trips out over the course of the restoration. I am looking forward to photos of your trip and for what it is worth, I vote for the Grigio Ortello as well.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

WELL DONE, MARK!! You have consistently demonstrated the true ethos of what vintage Ferrari ownership should be ever since you have owned that car - DRIVE 'EM.

and you took it to the right place - I think Zac found some leftover orange latex from when they painted his showroom in 1977 . . . .
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

And I thought we tossed Phillips and Kizer off the site when they sold their cars?? of course just kidding...........maybe. anyway hope to follow up with some pics and a story. didn't want to tell everyone ahead of time so they wouldn't worry. Tom K - I was going to drive to visit you but wasn't sure i know how to say 'hammer' (aka carb adjuster) in french. do still want to come visit though. Phillips we have a lunch at a local gentleman's club due, correct??
klv

Post by klv »

Hello Mark,

How exciting to have the car in the paint shop and ready for the transformation to occur! We too agonised over blues (one of the nicest colours for a 365GT ever). GianCarlo's original colour was a horrid purply-navy, non metallic, and it really was lurid. The paint shop had a number of ancient colour cards which were quite helpful. Because we wanted to be sure the new blue would not clash with the rather sudden red of the seats, we compared the colour chips with the seat in daylight to help make a decision. See pic here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1131516834 ... 3124086514

The colour that was chosen was the 3rd one up from the bottom on the Ferrari colour card, called 'Azzuro Metallico'. The paint shop warned me that the colour chips had lost their gloss and sparkle over the years, so we narrowed it down to three shades, they painted up samples of those on A5 card and I took the samples home and comtemplated them.

In the end, the colour of the car is a bit lighter than the sample on the colour card, again, partly due to the age of the sample on the colour card - which I'm quite glad about, and it complements the red seats without clashing. So it's really worth doing the sample sections, as big as poss, and look at them in different lighting, and seeing how the body colour will work with the seat colour.

Have fun choosing - it is all to look forward to!

Kelly
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens