Clutch Slave Cylinder Banjo Fitting

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Lowell

Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Banjo Fitting

Post by Lowell »

Here is the finished part. Note the groove and the axial hole.
DSCN2067.jpg
DSCN2067.jpg (37.27 KiB) Viewed 6584 times
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

Nice work.

Cheers Jim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Great Lowell, I would've done this right from the beginning.

Do you have any more pictures that were taken between the second and third pictures in your previous post? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

John Vardanian wrote:Great Lowell, I would've done this right from the beginning.

Do you have any more pictures that were taken between the second and third pictures in your previous post? Thanks.

john
I have no pictures of the beautiful work that my friend did: Cutting the parallel planes on his mill, drilling the bolt
hole on his mill and, I think, making it all rounded (with the original brass cylinder radius) using an attachment that he built for his lathe.
He is a professional machinist who did this work in his home shop. He lives 1/2 an hour from my house, and I did not see him do the work.
Lowell Brown
giovanni44

Post by giovanni44 »

Greetings,
It looks like some nice work on recreating that banjo fitting, however I am curious to know if you have tried the part on your car and how it fits minus the angled off-set between the body and the "barrel' of the part.

Giovanni 44
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

giovanni44 wrote:Greetings,
It looks like some nice work on recreating that banjo fitting, however I am curious to know if you have tried the part on your car and how it fits minus the angled off-set between the body and the "barrel' of the part.

Giovanni 44
Sorry to have been so late in replying to this question. Initially it bothered me too. However, it turns out that there is no real need for the fitting to be angled.

First let me show how the hose to the clutch slave cylinder was attached. The sharp angle near the cylinder caused the hose to separate from its metal end and eventually leak.
DSCN2083.jpg
DSCN2083.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
The final photo shows the brass fitting attached to the slave cylinder with the hose running upward to the car's fire wall. Note that there are now no sharp bends. The perspective in the photo makes the initial bend in the hose appear to be tighter than it really is.
DSCN2102.jpg
DSCN2102.jpg (52 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
Lowell Brown
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

One reason that I was so late in posting the photos above is that until last week I could not get the clutch to work!

I could not bleed the system. Finally my friend Luca came over, and we spend two hours looking at everything.

I had installed a new slave cylinder with the rod to the clutch lever adjusted so that the half-round nut and lock nut were just as before with just the proper small clearance with the lever.

Luca discovered --- at long last --- that these nuts had to be loosened so that the rod could be pulled out --- the rod was forcing the piston to be under the bleed screw, covering up the opening
so that it was impossible to bleed the system.

Kerry asked me to post this (even though I do so with a red face) so that others may not fall into the same trap.
Lowell Brown
tyang

Post by tyang »

Lowell wrote:One reason that I was so late in posting the photos above is that until last week I could not get the clutch to work!

I could not bleed the system. Finally my friend Luca came over, and we spend two hours looking at everything.

I had installed a new slave cylinder with the rod to the clutch lever adjusted so that the half-round nut and lock nut were just as before with just the proper small clearance with the lever.

Luca discovered --- at long last --- that these nuts had to be loosened so that the rod could be pulled out --- the rod was forcing the piston to be under the bleed screw, covering up the opening
so that it was impossible to bleed the system.

Kerry asked me to post this (even though I do so with a red face) so that others may not fall into the same trap.
Hi Lowell,

Thanks for your honesty, even though it took Kerry's prodding! We all make mistakes, but the most important thing is that we can recover and learn from them. No Egos here, at least not large ones!

Thanks!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053