Painting Heat Shields

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Painting Heat Shields

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't seem to find an answer to my query in the archives.
I've painted the heat shields that sit atop the headers on my 330 GTC 3X now, the last time I used an etching primer and VHT wrinkle paint. They looked great, but then, as always, the paint crinkled instead of wrinkled! Is there a method to keep them looking good once and for all? A friend suggested gluing some insulation from DEI under the shield, but I'm not convinced that their glue can't stand the heat in the kitchen. What's the best way to handle this common problem? Thanx. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Re: Painting Heat Shields

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Steve, I painted mine back in October, when we had the last of the warm weather. I stripped the old paint, washed with soap and left them in the sun till they got plenty warm (same with the paint can, left that in the sun too.). They came out fine. The trick with a nice finish seems to be heat and more than one coat applied as evenly as possible. The instructions on the can suggested that paint be applied first north-south, then east-west, then diagonally, that's three coats.

john
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Using a good heat gun will produce a nice wrinkle finish, air drying is not always repeatable. Follow the last message; 3 coats as the can says.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Sorry, my initial question didn't really get to my problem. I let those suckers bake in the Texas summer heat and sprayed them 3X or so after the self etching primer, and they did look great. My problem isn't how to paint them, but how to make the paint live past the heat of the headers. Am I missing something here?thanx again. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Steve, did you leave the back side of the shields bare metal? As that reflective surface will repel some heat and keep the temperatures of the black wrinkle somewhat lower. Also, as the smell of the somewhat cured paint may indicate it takes quite a long time for the VHT paint to completely cure. I often leave the wrinkle painted parts set for a week or two while doing other tasks. When the smell is completely gone then possible the paint is completely cured. There is an 800 number or web site listed on the can, and I have found that the company customer service people are very helpful; I had spray nozzle problems and they replaced the cans saying the paint may have been old and not up to spec! Jim
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Hi Jim! When I redo the shields, i'll let them cure a bit longer. thanx for the suggestion. I may also try to find some insulation to help out with this frustrating problem. ste
steve meltzer,
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Hi Steve, I know this might not apply right now for you but if the headers are off the car, using Jet Hot ceramic inside and out will reduce the temp that gets to the shields. Good luck,Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

that really would be a good idea. I hope I don't find myself in the situation, where the headers need to come off, tho'! thanx so much. s
steve meltzer,