Stick on weight removal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jimmyr

Stick on weight removal

Post by Jimmyr »

I am looking for a tip on the best solvent to remove the tape on weight adhesive from Borranis. The weight pulled off easily, but there is still tape and adhesive left on the outside face of the rim. Hate it when previous owners stick weights on the outside facing surface of a Borrani.
mark

Re: Stick on weight removal

Post by mark »

I've had luck with mineral spirits.
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

3M and others make an adhesive remover (?DX 330) which should work. This is probably heresy, but I've also used lacquer thinner without damage. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Jim: WD40 or Brakekleen and planning on wearing out some skin on the end of your thumb.

Dyke
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Dyke, long time, hope all is well. Will try those in the morning - thanks Jim
kare

Post by kare »

Small amount of heat might do the trick without any solvent needed. In any case it usually is a good start as solvents don't work very well as long as the tape is there!
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I just remembered, it's not the 330 DX (that's for grease). There's a 3M Adhesive remover, comes in a red can and available at your FLAPS. I also used a small, moderately hard piece of plastic that substituted for my nails. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The stick on weights were removed without any trouble using all of your kind inputs. First soaked it with WD40, let it set a few hours, used a heat gun to soften even more, then a rag with some brake cleaner to wipe, then a little finger tip rub - and all gone. Used some Never Dull to polish the area to a bright finish. Thanks all for the great tips! Jim