Restore taillights?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Koll

Restore taillights?

Post by Koll »

Happy Thanksgiving all! I've got an opportunity to do a little work (non-Ferrari) and was doing the standard Internet search on the procedure/tools/etc. and then I thought of Tom's site.

I know that there are no compromises on this piece.

Just go Eastwoods? Better options?

Thanks,

Koll
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Koll,

What exactly do you want to restore, the plastic, or the metal parts?

Tom
Koll

Post by Koll »

Sorry about that, Tom! We're talking the plastic here.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Koll,

If your lenses aren't too chipped and damaged, the Eastwood buffing wheel and polishing compound especially formulated for plastic is pretty good. The only thing you need to supply is fine grit sand paper. I would sand down the scratches in the lenses with progresively finer grit paper starting with something that will take out the scratches (400-600) ending with something like 1500-2000 grit before taking the plastic piece to the buffer.

Tom
Koll

Post by Koll »

Sounds good - I'll have to try that.

I don't quite know how to describe this, but perhaps you can get the picture I have in my head. You know when you see a new car - be it a new Maxima or Taurus or Matrix. Their taillights have that "newness" about them. They're like crystal throughout. You can spot a 2004 model instantly for after about 18-24 months, that sparkely look goes away.

I don't know how to explain it. Maybe it's a combination of new bulb with new reflective backing with lens. But, I'm quite sure I've not seen that on any restoration before. It could also be that I'm not looking at the right restorations.

Does what I say make sense. :oops:
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Koll,

I'm sure it has to do with the surface of the plastic, and how reflective it is when it's new. Pollution, acid rain, and sun, all work towards damaging the surface of this plastic. Any imperfections on the surface will mar the reflective surface, and help loose that "new car" look. I bet if you take the time to polish the lenses, you'll come close to getting this look again.

Be aware, however, your results will depend on how much time you spend sanding and polishing. The finer grit you end up at with the sand paper will give you the smoothest possible surface to polish to a brilliant shine. Think of your lenses as a mountainscape. the more you can make the peaks and valleys even out to a flat plane (mirrorlike), the better the polishing will work. The polishing can not do it's job without a smooth surface to begin with.

Good luck.

Tom