Cutting a Daytona column for electric power steering

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Cutting a Daytona column for electric power steering

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I love my Daytona, but what a ***** to park and maneuver at slow speeds. The electric PS units look like just the ticket, tho' expensive. To install one, you must severe the steering column, as I understand it. I wonder if the column on this car is interchangeable with a throw away column from say a Fiat 850 or 124 or an Alfa of some iteration? Does anyone know or have any thoughts on this? thanx. s (preemptive apology for X-posting this on F-chat) s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Martin M

Re: Cutting a Daytona column for electric power steering

Post by Martin M »

Hi Steve,

Few years ago I install the electrical PS system to one of my customer 1963 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spider. It was a touring body car and weights about 1400kg with 6cyl engine. There was the same problem, parking lots, what a headache. Go for a jym or do something.

So we plan to see what happens 60's steering box with El. power steering. The installation was a big job to fit the electrical motor correctly inside the steering column tunnel. You must cut the steeering shaft apart and intall there two extra couplings. Also you must cut a piece of a tunnel out to make it fit there with custom brackets. The Servo motor coil is quite big so all your gauge cables especially tacho and spedometer cables will have no more much space there as before.

PS system in Alfa 2600:

http://www.customizer.ee/gallery/1962%2 ... Vol-5.html

So point one, check under the dashboard to see how much room it has there for the servo motor and ECU block.

To get started with the wiring you will have two choices to how it works.
Switch it ON in the IGN ON position or Switch it ON when your generator/alternator starts giving Amps - engine starts

I chose the first function.

Results:
Works just great! Today modern car steering comforts. No noise, maybe little "over powering" IMHO, but this is adjustable.
A lot of cables, a mess under the dashboard.

The system is not all time ON position when you drive. It is in standby position when you are driving straight line.
It wakes up when you turn, as hard as you turn as stronger it will power the steering.

Result video - "two finger steering wheel"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4sdavR ... ature=plcp

Best Regards
Martin M
www.customizer.ee
1963 GTE series III
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Martin, thanx so much. very, very cool and works very well. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Se

Post by John Se »

have you considered a power rack and pinion, something like they are doing with street rods or vintage muscle cars?

I have a 61 Corvette that I converted to power rack and pinion, it really was not that difficult, I was able to remove and replace the old column, box, and steering linkage. replace with a new column, or for you you could just adapt the bottom end. Mount a rack on a crossmember, make up a ps pump/ brackets and lines. It Made my corvette a whole new car and much more enjoyable to drive. A couple of good resources may be Steeroids or Street rodder magazine.

Its so buried under the car that no one ever notices, and it drives really nice now, points in quick 2 turns lock to lock, pleasure in parking lots. We have just gotten used to sitting still and being able to turn the wheel, I asked my grandmother about this and she said you had to be moving to turn, Well Duh.

I would call my parts "prototype" but if you look at the steeroids they look more productized, forgive the grease!

see my pics at

http://www.fototime.com/inv/BEF478EF8AB54FD

http://www.steeroids.com No affiliation
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

John, well done and very cool. I have a '62 'Vette, still with "armstrong" steering. argghhh. I think the Daytona is far worse, but neither are a pleasure to park. Always fun trying to finesse the clutch, egg shell the throttle, manhandle that big steering wheel, and not hit anything all while trying to look cool and nonchalant while parking! s
steve meltzer,
zac

Post by zac »

Steve,

There are other options that do no require cutting the column or forever changing the car. I have done a couple Daytonas where I removed the manual box and replaced it with a power steering box from a 365 GTC/4. Pretty much a straight bolt in, just have to bore out the mounting bracket and make/modify the u-joint coupler to match the larger splines. The first car I did just used the C/4 pump with the resivoir built on but the second one I used a much more efficient pump from a Nissan Titan and a remote resivoir. Both systems worked great with plenty of assist but if I do another I would use one if the remote mount electric pumps that can be tucked away inside a fender to keep the clutter down in the engine bay and can be switched on and off on demand.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

HI Zac, I've heard about using the C4 box, but figured it would be very hard to find. Any thoughts on how to find one, at a reasonable cost?
thanx steve
steve meltzer,
250GT

Post by 250GT »

HI Steve,
This Dutch company makes an invisible system.
and are very successful on the vintage market maybe a better alternative than cutting a column ?!

ciao

C.

http://www.ooto.eu/
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

It looks like that system also requires cutting the column. Seems like I might be able to find an old column to cut or, as suggested on F-chat, fab one. Anyone have Shaughnessy's email?
steve meltzer,
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Hi Steve, would you like for me to inquire about a steering box on the C4 website? Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

sure Mike, that would be great. thanx for helping me. steve
steve meltzer,
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Uh oh, old C/4's are going to become the hot parts sources for Daytonas like the 250GTE's for GTOs - where's TS! :)
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
stacyoblenes

Post by stacyoblenes »

hi
just wanted to let you know that you don't necessarily need a c4 steering box to do the conversion, which is good because they are rare. last time i checked rutlands had one but wanted almost 4K.

A box from a 400 will work. I know this because I just replaced the leaky box in my c4 with a NOS 400 unit. even though a different part number, it was a straight bolt in, everything exactly the same so it will work fine in the daytona. these are somewhat available from the usual suspects. I am sure a used one can be had pretty easily as well.

hope that helps.

S
Stacy O'Blenes
Halifax, Canada
72 365 GTC/4
77 308gtb
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Steve Meltzer wrote:sure Mike, that would be great. thanx for helping me. steve
Hi Steve, I got a post on the C4 website from Chuck King. He says that he has adapter plates made for you conversion and a list of a few boxes that will work, C4,365gt4 2+2 ,400, etc. His # is 702 243 6557 and said he welcomes your call. Good luck. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Hey Thanx Mike. I'm sending you a PM. s
steve meltzer,