Oil filter

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Oil filter

Post by John Vardanian »

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the wire mesh that serves as the full-pressure "filter" with a real filter element and how he did it. I would like to convert the mesh to a real filter and retire the bypass filter.

Dyke, I'm sure you have a few cents on this.

john

PF Coupe
250GT

Re: Oil filter

Post by 250GT »

John, after summer 1959
Ferrrari replaced the old bypass filter by this
as always see pics below,
this solution is far more adorable for service.

ciao

C.
Attachments
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 11328 times
IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0828.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 11328 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Cornelis, we're talking about this. This will not hold 90psi.

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John,
youre schema pic from the Manuel shows nr 2
that filter is the same as the porsche 356 main filter
Do you want to remove the bypass filter complete?

filter 2 looks like the pics below
there is a long and short version of filter(2)
some pics

C.
Attachments
long version
long version
IMG_0391.jpeg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 11321 times
porsche like 356
porsche like 356
IMG_2285 2.jpeg (186.44 KiB) Viewed 11321 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Yes, Cornelis, I want to remove the orange can and at the same time replace the "wire cage" that serves as full-pressure filter with a paper element filter, similar to the one that is in the orange can.

john
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Charles Betz and Fred Peters in Ca make an adaptor that bolts onto the location where the hose plate is mounted on the front chain cover. They adapted a spin on oil filter that seems to work fine.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Jimmy, but I wonder if those brown spiral lines can move the full volume of oil at 90psi? I'm more interested in something that works like a modern filter but fits nicely inside here.

john

PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hmm John,
I will not be the only one who ask : "whats this all about" ?
the only thing that comes up in my mind ,is create possibility to higher oilpressior in general.
will this let the engine run better ?

C.

P.S
The worning by Tom Yang for the fuel lines- boxer-is IMPORTANT. this is not a pure Ferrari problem alone of course
Especially the first Fuelinjection cars late 60th, early 70th are in high DANGERr with org. lines.
I can speak out of expierance.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

John, the spin on adaptor from Betz does not use any oil lines as it attaches directly to the front cover location. This is just a what if idea and not correct for a restoration, but OK for a driver or race car. Jim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Jimmy, I'll have to look into the Betz design.

Cornelis, the idea is to properly filter oil, as opposed to straining it.

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John Vardanian wrote:Hi Jimmy, I'll have to look into the Betz design.

Cornelis, the idea is to properly filter oil, as opposed to straining it.

john

Well John,
to achive that aim is guite simple.
In NL a lot of cars runs with LPG -Liquid Propan Gas in stead of fuel.
This let come out the USED oil like the way you put it in, not black but compleet gold without any stains .
Would not advise to use this oil again either.
Ortherwise it impossible I am afraid, to reach that goal.

Best

C.
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

The 212 I have worked on has a paper filter in place of the wire screen filter. I will have to look up the NAPA part number when I get home. The filter is for a Mercedes. It does require an adapter that fits in the bottom of the timing chain housing. I have not had the adapter out, so I do not know its exact configuration. Patrick Ottis built the engine so I assume he has the adapters.

No the brown oil lines that go to the bypass oil filter are not large enough to flow the entire engines oil flow through them. They were only designed to handle the bypass flow. If you ran the full engine flow through them the pressure losses would be very high due to small flow area.

Cheers Jim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Jim, a Ferrari who has an early motor pointed me to this, which says NAPA 1310 is the unit that can fit inside the cavity of the timing chest.

http://mpi-ferrari.com/html/oil_system.html

So, given a proper full flow filter, is it necessary to use the bypass filter as well? Any thoughts?

I have a question for you since you have access to a 2.5 liter car, does the car have an oil cooler, if so where does the cooler fit in the oiling circuit? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I meant to say a Ferrari friend with an early motor... I hate it that you cannot edit on this site.
PF Coupe
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

Technically, the oil bypass filter is not needed, the 1310 is a fine enough filter (the 212 only had the wire mesh one originally, no bypass filter at all). If the bypass filter has a finer media than the main oil filter it still may make the oil slightly cleaner. However I would not expect it to make a significant increase to the life of the bearings. Personally I would leave it in because it is original and it does not hurt anything.

Yes the 212 has an oil cooler mounted on the right side of the radiator. It has large brown oil lines (approx 1/2 inch ID). There are fittings on the right side of the timing chain cover (under the distributor) that route the oil to and from it (see photo below). As far as an oil schematic, I believe it is shown in "48-63 Ferrari: Operating, Maintenance and Services Handbooks and 250GT Parts Manual by Ferrari compiled by noted expert Richard F Merritt" but I do not have access to it right now to provide the schematic.

Cheers Jim