Re: Oil filter

Post by 330Jim »

See if I can get the photo this time.
1-IMG_8197-001.JPG
1-IMG_8197-001.JPG (120.01 KiB) Viewed 6943 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Jim. In the Merrit book (Page 53) there is a lubrication circuit diagram that's supposed to be for the 212 Inter but it's not clear. Looking at it, it appears that the cooler is between the pump and the filter and seems 100% of the oil runs thru it.

Back to the diagram I posted at the top of the string, there is a valve in the "U" tupe (No. #4). In my 128D this tube is hollow--there is no valve in it. Wonder if all 128D's are like that. I think the diagram in the diagram here must be a 128C, maybe those engines had valves.

john
PF Coupe
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

Putting the cooler between the pump and the filter would be a common way to configure a lubrication system in general. I have not traced the 212 system out to see if it is done that way on the 212. You are correct, 100% of the flow should go through the cooler.

Item 4 appears to be the filter, based on your description I assume this is not what you meant. In regards to the valve in the U tube, I find it hard to believe the tube should be hollow. Without a check valve in there all the oil flow will bypass the bypass filter since there is no pressure drop to drive the oil flow through it. If there is no check valve in there, is there at least an orifice or something that would cause a pressure drop? A straight through tube approx ½” ID or larger would mean your car is only using the wire screen filter to filter the oil.

Cheers Jim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Jim, in mine, the u-tube is in fact hollow. In the middle of the u-tube, there is nipple which serves as the input to the bypass filter. I think, the only thing that limits the flow thru the bypass filter is the resistance created by the size of the orifice. The bottom flange of the u-tube is a direct route to the pump and the upper flange is a direct route to the filter. One could replace this u-tube with two individual flanges and cut in an oil cooler. What you have here is the old Ferrari adage—racing comes first.

john
PF Coupe
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

I'm not sure I understand the bypass filter plumbing, as long as there is something that causes a pressure drop the oil will flow through the filter otherwise the oil will take the path of least resistance.

Below are some detail shots of the oil cooler installation on the 212.
1-IMG_8197-002.JPG
1-IMG_8197-002.JPG (203.85 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
1-IMG_9070-002.JPG
1-IMG_9070-002.JPG (182.3 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
1-IMG_9075-002.JPG
1-IMG_9075-002.JPG (165.01 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
Note the lower fitting on the oil cooler is similar to the upper fitting.

Cheers Jim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks a plenty Jim.
PF Coupe
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

I got a chance to check out the plumbing to the bypass oil filter on the PF coupe. Your right there is no check valve (only a small orifice) in the system and it is plumbed differently than the oil schematic you posted. On the PF the oil flow is bleed off the U shaped tube that goes from the pump to the filter. Then it goes through the bypass filter and the clean oil is returned to the oil sump.

I agree, if you remove the U-tube you could easily install an oil cooler. If you tee into one of these fitting (that replace the u-tube) you could keep the bypass filter if you wanted too or you could remove it.

Cheers Jim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Jim, good to know that there's nothing missing from my car. I think the 128C motor might have something inside the U-tube that acts as a bypass valve. I can only guess. Here's my set-up that I think is superior to MPI's. It slides into and out of the cavity as one together, whole piece and it uses the car's own stout spring, as opposed to a hardware store spring. I looked at MPI's and thought to myself trying to keep four loose pieces together while bolting on the cap in a tight spot (much less taking out four oily runaway pieces) is going to be aggravation.

john

PF Coupe
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

Nice job, I like how you set that up.

Cheers Jim