rear diff leaks

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Al Pezzella

rear diff leaks

Post by Al Pezzella »

Tom, that was a great idea, after I removed the nuts, I was able to hit the springs with a rubber mallet and the flange separated enough that I was able to clean it and apply some RTV silicone on flange and studs. Next I will replace oil seal.
Thanks, I'll see you soon for those points....
tyang

Re: rear diff leaks

Post by tyang »

If you feel like you're joining in the middle of the conversation, Al told me about his axle tube flange leaks he was having on his differential. It's a common area for leaks as there is no gasket at this area. We had luck loosening the nuts and hammering the spring perched a little to create a gap in the flange. In this gap, we smear some silicone and bolt everything back together, and cross our fingers. It saves us from having to pull the axle out to seal the leaks.

I'm glad it worked for you Al.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I have a leak there too. It's a very minor leak but it makes things ugly underside. It is the last unconquered leak but this winter it's going to get done.

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Minor leaks are perfect preservation tools.
my bellypans were neverpainted simply because there is always a film of oil on both sides.
I donnot clean them even when I put them back.
even the chassis is protected by this way.
All vintage Ferraris who are USED do have little leaks and thats good so.
if they dont leak please check you oillevels.

ciao
C.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Cornelis, that is what a Ferrari mechanic told his client some time after the client had taken delivery of his fresh engine and complained about leaks spotting his driveway. It's fine I guess, to each his own. The only concession I'd make is to the rear main bearing, and that's because I wouldn't convert from the spiral oil slinger.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Question, that technique in the first post, how much slack do you get, one inch or two? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Question, that technique in the first post, how much slack do you get, one inch or two? Thanks.

john
Hi John,

Not much. Maybe a 1/4 inch?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053

Post by 8339 »

Hi Guys, don't forget to make sure the one or two vents on top of the axle tubes are free from road debris, undercoating and spider nests. If the vents are clogged you will build up pressure in the differential housing and the oil will find the weakest place to push fluid out.

Richard Garre
Radcliffe Motorcar Co.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I have just thought of alternative to Capital Punishment: Life spent on removing suspension cotter pins.

I am in the midst of trying to remove my axle so I can remedy the leak that comes from where the tubes meet the gear casing. I have disconnected everything and have removed the brakes. The axle is now dangling by the hold cables. The way the fuel tank wraps around the gear casing, I am wondering if I need to remove the leaf springs as well. Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:I have just thought of alternative to Capital Punishment: Life spent on removing suspension cotter pins.

I am in the midst of trying to remove my axle so I can remedy the leak that comes from where the tubes meet the gear casing. I have disconnected everything and have removed the brakes. The axle is now dangling by the hold cables. The way the fuel tank wraps around the gear casing, I am wondering if I need to remove the leaf springs as well. Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

john
Hi John,

I've managed to remove the axle without removing the leaf springs. With everything disconnected, the nose of the rear axle will rotate downwards and you'll just have to wrestle it out.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Tom, I'll try it. It looks like you left the exhaust in place too. I had to remove mine.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

I think I took this picture before I realized the Exhaust had to come out. It ended up coming out.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Could someone please confirm whether the half-shaft seal should be 44x60x7 or 44x60x8? I ordered the 8mm wide because that is what came out of the axle, but and got 7mm in the mail. Would this matter? Any experiences with either?

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Could someone please confirm whether the half-shaft seal should be 44x60x7 or 44x60x8? I ordered the 8mm wide because that is what came out of the axle, but and got 7mm in the mail. Would this matter? Any experiences with either?

john
Hi John,

I don't think it will make a big difference. Try to see if there is groove worn in the hub, and if the new seal will ride in it. I try to polish out any imperfections in the hub that rides on the lip seal to insure a leak free seal.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Tom, looking at the hub the "polished" ring appears 2-3mm wide.

john
PF Coupe