Remote Fuel Door Release Cable

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Shire_GTV

Remote Fuel Door Release Cable

Post by Shire_GTV »

Hi Tom,
I was reading your recent post about the seized fuel released cable.

Alfas have a similar set for the trunk etc. Depending on how much of the outer cable can be seen and how close to original is required, a great substitute is push-bike cables. Most modern cables are Teflon lined and never need lubricating and are 100% easier to use an maintain. Available in many thicknesses and colors.

Cheers
Adam
Sydney
tyang

Re: Remote Fuel Door Release Cable

Post by tyang »

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the tip. I've used these bike cable sheaths before and sometimes they work great, but sometimes they're too thin. The modern cables are sometimes too thin to fit in the controls where they secure to the levers like heater controls. I've also had good luck with choke cables, removing the solid wires and replacing them with a braided wire for this application. A liberal application of grease would probably eliminate this problem because I'm sure there was no grease on these parts when they were new!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
kare

Re: Remote Fuel Door Release Cable

Post by kare »

At least in Europe, 100% accurate cable sheath is sold as a choke cable set. The only limitation is the length (2,5m = 8'2") which may not be enough for all applications. For the Alfa type latches I use braided stainless cable that is available in various thicknesses in marine shops.