Weber Carb Gears

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Re: Weber Carb Gears

Post by John Vardanian »

kare wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:Has anyone tried cutting a close enough pair of spur gear and making their own sector gears?
Do you wish to repair the damaged one or remake a whole set? How about drilling and inserting a brass insert?
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

kare wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:Has anyone tried cutting a close enough pair of spur gear and making their own sector gears?
Do you wish to repair the damaged one or remake a whole set? How about drilling and inserting a brass insert?
Hi Kare,

Disregard my previous post.

Yes, if you know of a dependable adhesive, I can bore the unit out and glue on an aluminum sleeve. This would solve one-half of my problem.

The other half of my problem is that I have another gear where the radius (the teeth) are broken into three pieces. Can this be glued after a thorough cleansing, I tend to doubt it?

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

330GT wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:... I called pierce, Weber America and a few lesser shops and these sector gears are no longer available. Any thoughts, or interim remedies? Thanks...

john
You might try http://www.dellorto.co.uk. They had the sector gears for the 40DCL carbs in my PF coupe. Mike Pierce only had 2 and they were NLA from Weber. I also looked into having some cast and Mike was interested in buying some if I had gone that route.

Hi Kerry, thanks I just sent the UK company an email.

When I talked to the Pierce rep, it sounded like they keep a stock of them for their own use and these are pieces that were pulled out of their graveyard pile.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

DWR46 wrote: 3. Now screw the idle speed screw for the secondary back in the one turn, loosen the clamp and then raise the secondary barrel a small amount (enough to compensate for the "play" in the sector gears. Then tighten the clamp, back off the idle speed screw the one turn and see how close your synchronization is. It will usually take two or three trys to get each secondary barrel synched to the primary barrel with the secondary idle screw backed out the one turn. However, when you are done, the secondary barrel will open in perfect unison with the primary barrel (as the "play" will be eliminated) and they will also be synched together.
Hi Dyke, I just went over this step and want to say that you were so damn right. We now sound like a fine-tuned concert grand. Thanks so very much.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: It was my pleasure to help. Glad the car is running well.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Actually, Dyke, the pleasure is you logging onto this site.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Amen to that. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
kare

Post by kare »

John Vardanian wrote:Yes, if you know of a dependable adhesive, I can bore the unit out and glue on an aluminum sleeve. This would solve one-half of my problem.

The other half of my problem is that I have another gear where the radius (the teeth) are broken into three pieces. Can this be glued after a thorough cleansing, I tend to doubt it?
I too am very sceptic about glueing things back together after an intact piece failed. I wouldn't even glue an insert as I think it could be possible to drill a 2mm locking screw into that body. Drilling a small notch into the insert would secure it 100% with little if any change for failure and it would still be possible to take it all apart again, if ever needed. I would also prefer brass instead of aluminum, but that's just me.

Remanufacturing new sector gears would not be that hard either. I've figured that you are quite clever doing things yourself, so having a look into profiled cutting discs and a dividing head might spinn off a few ideas. Spur gears are very simple after all. Off course it would take many hours. A word with someone who restores old clocks might also give new ideas. Restoring old clocks is mostly about making bearings inserts (jewels) and new gears, so there must be people who make things like that all the time.

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Kare, the shafts are 48mm center-to-center, so theoretically, if I got two 2-inch spur gears that would give me the right pitch circle and with a little adjustment on one of the shafts, that just might work. The other problem is that the sector has 16 teeth. There aren't off-the-shelf spur gears with that many teeth.

Time to get a Bridgeport and an indexing head ... in my dreams ;)

john
PF Coupe
kare

Post by kare »

I think there is a chance that the gear has standard (moduled) tooth profile, so the profile would be possible to be copied with a standard cutter "just like that". Tooth profiles are standardized so that any spur gear having the same module fit together - so number of profiled cutters is very limited.

Wish I had some broken pieces so I could see if Technoweld work with the zinc alloy they used for those parts...
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Kare, I think it would be difficult to replace one wheel with a manufacutred one. You'd need to replace both primary and secondary gears to get a good mesh.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Kerry, thanks, Delloroto UK has these in stock.

john
PF Coupe