Making concours correct 250 Battery Cables

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

SLM

Making concours correct 250 Battery Cables

Post by SLM »

I am in the process of replacing my GTE battery cables with the correct cables and terminals. Has anyone done this with success? I purchased the correct battery terminals from Parker Hall. These have split barrels which make for an interesting assembly ?? Not sure the best way to deal with these? Also, I pulled the photo from the 1962 R & T issue. It shows the orientation of the cables and also shows the cables had about 1 1/2-2" of heat shrink tubing near the terminal ends.I also believe that the positive cable had a sleeve running the length of it making it appear larger than the "-" cable ( This was done on the next series of cables as well). This was most likely to protect the "+" cable as it was held in place by the two straps on the firewall.The lug end on both cables was 3/8. Any help as to the correct wire size ( I am thinking 1/0 gauge ),soldering process or the secrets would be appreciated.
thanks!
Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733
tyang

Re: Making concours correct 250 Battery Cables

Post by tyang »

I've corresponded with Steve earlier and this is what I wrote:
know they were black, and have a vinyl sheathing . The positive cable was pretty thick, like a 1 gauge, but the negative cable always seemed one gauge smaller. That connects to the bottom of the battery tray. There's a ground strap that goes from that lug to the engine block, usually a valve cover stud.
I still think the original negative cable seemed smaller than the positive cable by one gauge despite the sheathing. It didn't necessarily have to be as thick since it's a shorter run to the ground lug. Of course a 01 gauge cable is better!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
SLM

Post by SLM »

I found a nice photo of the set-up on page 80 of the owners manual. Now I just have to fiqure out the best way to assemble / solder them and the correct wire gauge-either gauge 1 or 1/0. Hard to believe no one has made their own cables since you cant' buy them pre-made from any of the suppliers.
62 250GTE S/N 3733
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Take a look at brillman.com . They have a wide selection of wires, cables, lugs and ends along with soldering plugs. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
tyang

Post by tyang »

SLM wrote:I found a nice photo of the set-up on page 80 of the owners manual. Now I just have to fiqure out the best way to assemble / solder them and the correct wire gauge-either gauge 1 or 1/0. Hard to believe no one has made their own cables since you cant' buy them pre-made from any of the suppliers.
With the correct pieces, it's really a matter of heating the end up with a torch, melting the solder in the end, and dipping the bare end of the cable into the molten solder. Let cool. There's a swaging tool that can punch a dimple into the eye end, but the solder holds things together pretty well.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
airsanford

Post by airsanford »

Don't forget flux.
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings.... I am about to speak heresy so you have been warned and the correctness police should avert their eyes. Your Ferrari will start better and your battery will last longer if you run the ground cable to the engine rather than the stud on the battery box. I typically run the ground to one of the starter mounting bolts. My parts book (330)shows the same number for both cables but I do seem to recall one looking bigger than the other when I replaced them. If you are convinced that is the case, then use a 0 gauge for positive and 1 gauge for ground. You will still need the little ground from engine to fire wall. Mad Enterprizes shows battery cables almost ready to go but with a different terminal than I am used to seeing. Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tim,

There is supposed to be a ground strap that goes from the battery tray lug to the engine block. The engine will have trouble starting without this, trust me...

Tom
tim wrote:Greetings.... I am about to speak heresy so you have been warned and the correctness police should avert their eyes. Your Ferrari will start better and your battery will last longer if you run the ground cable to the engine rather than the stud on the battery box. I typically run the ground to one of the starter mounting bolts. My parts book (330)shows the same number for both cables but I do seem to recall one looking bigger than the other when I replaced them. If you are convinced that is the case, then use a 0 gauge for positive and 1 gauge for ground. You will still need the little ground from engine to fire wall. Mad Enterprizes shows battery cables almost ready to go but with a different terminal than I am used to seeing. Tim
'63 330 America #5053
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings.... Believe me, I believe you. When trying to start a Lotus S7 many years ago, there was no ground strap to the engine and the battery ground was to the frame. Electrons, needing a place to go, went up the drive shaft to make connection at the slip yoke. As the slip yoke had been well greased, there was a bit of resistance, heat, and much smoke. Our mentor, the late great Larry Taylor, said "where's the engine ground"? A couple of dumb looks later and we had learned a lesson. Running the ground cable from battery to a starter mounting bolt will often cure the hard start problems experienced with hotted up small block chebbies even with a ground cable from chassis to engine when the battery ground is to the chassis. Steel isn't that great a conductor. It's just a better way to do it but not original. Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Tom I actually double ground my cars with a second flex stap from one of the transmission to bellhousing nuts to the frame underside it is out of sight and helps insure the frame is all in the grounding circuit M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
SLM

Post by SLM »

I do think for the 250 another ground wire was not run to the valve cover. Maybe for the 330? Instead see attached photo. It was run from the bell housing to the stud mounted at the bottom side of the engine mount as shown. Also,there is no evidence of a cable run to the valve cover in the manual.see photo. I will post my completed cable set shortly-still collecting a few items to make them.Attached is a photo of Parker Hall's 100 pt. repro cable ends.They will accept a 1 gauge cable or smaller.
Attachments
250batteryphoto.JPG
250batteryphoto.JPG (136.74 KiB) Viewed 12917 times
250batterycableends.JPG
250batterycableends.JPG (142.59 KiB) Viewed 12917 times
Ferrari250ground.JPG
Ferrari250ground.JPG (133.78 KiB) Viewed 12917 times
62 250GTE S/N 3733
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Here are pictures of original cables on my PF coupe.
Ground cable to battery box frame:
P1010421x.jpg
Note the cloth covering. What is missing is the cable from the battery tray to the block.

Here is the cable to the starter:
P1010418 (2)x.jpg
Starter end
P1010419x.jpg
Note the metal shield that was common on earlier 250s.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

What is the sheath that is over the metal conduit, just before the terminal? What material is it? It looks like PVC that has aged and discolored. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
330GT

Post by 330GT »

John Vardanian wrote:What is the sheath that is over the metal conduit, just before the terminal? What material is it? It looks like PVC that has aged and discolored. Thanks.

john
That's what it looks like to me too.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
SLM

Post by SLM »

Kerry,
thanks for the nice photos. I am not looking forward to soldering the cables in with those split barrell terminals. Your photo shows that they were not perfectly done. Can you post a closer view of the end of the terminal and solder?

regards,
Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733