Tool Bag Handle

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

treue

Tool Bag Handle

Post by treue »

Guys,

I am currently restoring my tool bags for 9129. The brown vinyl is in near-perfect shape, but the leather needs replacement. I use the two-bag arrangement, the jack, hub puller and lead hammer go in the smaller bag and all the rest of the tools in the main bag. I also have a spare jack bag. My main bag and one jack bag have a “curved” handle, that is, the steel strap spine between the two pieces of leather that form the handle is bent. The second jack bag has a straight handle. The bend could have occurred in handling, but seems to be right in the center of the steel strap and of a consistent radius, and so, could have been intentional. But why does the second jack bag have a straight handle? My question: which is correct for the tool bag handles: straight or bent?

BTW, 9129 has been beautifully re-painted (Back to the original color, silver metallic, Kerry. And yes, the side vents are body color.) and is now at Vintage Connection awaiting final re-assembly.

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
mdempsey

Re: Tool Bag Handle

Post by mdempsey »

I had some bsgs made a few years ago and had several original bags as models. I recall that the tool bag handle had a vurved shape and the javk bsg handle did not
treue

Post by treue »

m,

Thanks for the response. My problem is that I have TWO jack bags which are identical in every way except that one handle has a ½” x 5-1/4” STRAIGHT strap inside it and the other has a ½” x 6-3/4” BENT strap in it. Both look original. Could this be one of those issues at the Ferrari factory where different accessories (one-bag versus two-bag toolkits, alternators, air conditioners tires and batteries, for example) were supplied as available or that were cheaper than what was previously supplied?

Tom
Tom Treue
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: You need to go back and look at my previous post about Toolkits. The factory bought toolkits in batches. When they ran out, they would ask for bids from various suppliers. The lowest cost won the bid, and the kits were done to a general set of Ferrari specs. So each batch will have subtle variances. We get way too anal about all these minor differences. Just enjoy the cars and try to keep them running.
treue

Post by treue »

But Dyke, the whole concours thing is OCD, anyway, so why not go the whole route? After all, it only cost me a few minutes of my time to ask my question and secure some answers, however marginal. It could be said that my respondents are a bit anal for responding or even knowing such minutiae, but, of course, I won’t say that. I promise I won’t ask what the plating is on the stiffener inside the bag handles. Or the angle to which the stiffener is bent. Thanks for the response.

Tom
Tom Treue
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: As long as I have got myself into this mess, here are my observations about the tool bag handles. I also have seen both straight and curved handles. However, the straighter handles were usually on Jack Bags that do not have as much weight to carry. I do not think I have ever seen a straight hancle on a one piece toolkit bag. In my humble opinion, all the handles possibly starrted out straight, and very quickly became bent just in the first few times a full toolkit was lifted into and out of a car. I have noticed over the years, that the more "pristine" the original kit was, the straighter the handle. This to me indicated that the bend in the handles was due to usage and not a manufacturing procedure.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: I forgot, the stiffner is unplated bare sheet metal.
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Oh hell! Since everybody else has an opinion, I`ll weigh in too.
When I reproduced my bag, I used a piece of stainless steel inside new leather of the correct thickness for the handle. My stainless strip was 0.055 inches thick, 0.5 inches wide, and 6.7 inches long. I had it sewed into the two pieces of leather and onto assembled the tool bag. After installation of all the correct tools, I picked up the bag and the handle formed into a perfect permanent arc due to the weight of all the tools.
If I were you, I would not worry about it. The judges at Cavallino accepted the bag without comment and without deductions.
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

note to self; next time I judge @ Cavallino, remember to ask hapless 2+2 owner what gauge of stainless was used in the tool bag handle . . . .

heeheeheee
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Bryan, I didn`t "memorize" the dimensions. I measured the strip of metal from the second bag I made but whose handle I did not attach.
I didn't just fall of the turnip truck. Any time I make something, there's a good chance I'll screw it up and have to make another, so I always plan to make two of everything.
And, by the way, the kind of metal, strip thickness and width is germane to the weight required to bend the handle. I've still got the second Queen repro tool rool that I made (with the handle still not sewn on, so if anybody needs a "not-too-bad" homemade 365GT 2+2 repro tool roll, let me know. I miss all you guys.
Tom K.
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
treue

Post by treue »

… and humor, too!!

My two choices were 0.078 x 0.588 x 5-3/8 straight and similar width and thickness x 6-3/4 bent. I agree with the accidental-bend possibility since the apparent strength of the bags seems to be just adequate to meet the load imposed and no more. The steel in the strap is not exactly high-strength, either.

I am forewarned, Bryan, and will be prepared.

I like turnips, Tom K.

BTW, I have four sets of the higher-load studs on the 330 engine if anyone is interested. Details in FML

Tom
Tom Treue
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... Last week I visited with the son of a woman who used to make tool bags for a well known west coast puveryor of used Ferrari bits. He told me she used worn out Morgan front damper blades in the handles of the bags she did. I tried a couple of years ago to get her to make me one but she declined. She said they made her fingers hurt. Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic