Moderators: 330GT, abrent

250GT

Re: Tool Bag

Post by 250GT »

" tappo ad espansione" = an expansion plug
Al Pezzella

Post by Al Pezzella »

just a thought, if you install a washer between the donut and the driveshaft flange, the driveshaft would move back therefore the shaft would ride at new position in comparison to mushroom.
Sounds logical but not sure if it would work.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Al: See my earlier post in regards to the washers, it works as we have done that before successfully.
Al Pezzella

Post by Al Pezzella »

your right, I guess I should have read page one before page two.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Dyke, all thing proper and unworn, what should be the clearance between the mushroom and the opposite surface? Would you be able to guess? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

I would says not to be too neurotic concerning this issue.
As long you donnot use you're car as an SUV or Offroad (rallye driving)
not much can be damage As long as the U -joint and Donut are in new condition,
and the sliding mechanic on Prop shaft is working fine (grease)
All the other who are confused schoud find a shop to check and replace.
one of 10 will be knowing this issue(F-shops) I guess.

best

C.
Attachments
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (91.61 KiB) Viewed 10983 times
56894(1).jpg
56894(1).jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 10983 times
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: I do not know a specific clearance, but it should be a "slip" fit. When it is right, you cannot feel any movement when you try to move the propshaft side to side. Bear in mind that if you have no high frequency vibration in the shaft, you are probably fine.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke. The dime finally fell. Because the link between the driveshaft and the axle is only semi-hard (due to the nature of the donut), the mushroom would tend to "swivel" inside the cylinder. That is why the inside of the cylinder need be lubricated.

john

PS. Thanks Cornelis.
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John,
The fact Ferrari used HOLLOW bolts 16x1.5 on the donut is probebly an attemp to reduce the "body mass" on the hardicoupling.
this part has thee dimension huge forces .
so the centrifugal force is maybe lowered by this attempt ?
We all know how much problems the driveshaft solution was on the later 275GTB. .......horror

best

C.
Attachments
16x 1.5 hardibolts
16x 1.5 hardibolts
IMG_1021.jpg (124.89 KiB) Viewed 10908 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Cornelis,

Another advantage to having hollow bolts is it makes it a lot easier to line up the bolts in the rubber guibo joint with a steel drift tool. When you install a new guibo joint, it comes with a steel band that compresses the rubber so the bolt holes line up, but without this band, the rubber must be moved to line things up. Using a drift inserted in the end of the hollow bolt gets things to line up without damaging the threads.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Tom, your words just evoked memories of recent sufferings... I had a hell of a time getting the holes to line up. There has to be a smart tool that would squeeze the edges of the donut together. I used elbow and shoulder power and a brass hammer.

In all the discussion we have had about the axle and the rear suspension recently there is one thing that should simmer to the top and that is recognition of those who do this for a living. It is hard work. For me, this must be the hardest thing I have ever done by far... not just on the car but hardest ever.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: I know it is too late for this, but many times a large stainless steel hose clamp tightened around the donut will help compress it enough to make the bolt insertion easier. If somebody buys a new donut DO NOT remove the metal band until AFTER it is installed.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

tyang wrote:Hi Cornelis,

Another advantage to having hollow bolts is it makes it a lot easier to line up the bolts in the rubber guibo joint with a steel drift tool. When you install a new guibo joint, it comes with a steel band that compresses the rubber so the bolt holes line up, but without this band, the rubber must be moved to line things up. Using a drift inserted in the end of the hollow bolt gets things to line up without damaging the threads.

Tom
Tom,
you should start at the right end.
First place the 4 bolts from the back side in the flage of the RA-housing , than the 4 other bolt from the drive shaft OTHER WAY AROUND.
no fixation of the U-joint YET ! so you can use the hole shaft as lever.
no problem in this way.
The 330GT has the donut just behind the gearbox so this is not so easy to reach as the cars with the visa versa construction.
I replace a compleet rear axle in a late saterday afternoon alone.
When I need a lower ratio.( up hill)
But with both springs left and right fixated.
Its narrow but works.
I take off the brakessytem.
but I have a prof. equipment here
I dont sit on the floor with my knees.

Yes it still a hobby here.

best

C.
Attachments
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg (120.1 KiB) Viewed 10880 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

For a better understanding

C.
Attachments
motoren.jpeg
motoren.jpeg (153.96 KiB) Viewed 10877 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

DWR46 wrote:John: I know it is too late for this, but many times a large stainless steel hose clamp tightened around the donut will help compress it enough to make the bolt insertion easier. If somebody buys a new donut DO NOT remove the metal band until AFTER it is installed.
Thanks, I'll remmber this simple aide next time. I can tell that it's going to take half the time and effort.

john
PF Coupe