Tool Bag

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tim

Tool Bag

Post by tim »

Greetings... As I was just talking about tool bags, if you happen to have the bag and tools for 5769, you may return them to me no questions asked. When I bought the Big Yellow Taxi 36 years ago, no bag. I've looked at bags over the years and found them a bit more pricey than I wanted to go. $800 or more for a bag in need of repair just didn't seem a good deal. $1000 plus for a repro similarly didn't do it. Recently on eBay, I saw a repro bag at what I thought was doable. I contacted the seller and found that he was also the maker. There was another similar bag on eBay for 50% more money and he was certain it was one of his being sold by someone else. A bit ago, I asked about the "correct" pattern-smooth or grained and Dyke pointed out the silliness some of us go to. Bags were produced by several different companies to a general specificaton supplied by Ferrari so there may be differences in things like stiching spacing, holes punched in straps and such. His bags were for 275's and 330's. I had this bag with me at Tom's Monterey gathering and differences between it and a 250 bag were pointed out but they are most likely due to different makers of the originals that were being copied. I showed it to a local here in North California who is a Concours judge and he had a one word comment-"fabulous". Another restorer visiting from Florida saw it and immediatly wanted one. What-you say-is the price? $550 US. Maker is Richard Ward at my62helms@yahoo.com 818-996-0886 Tim
Attachments
bag three.jpg
bag three.jpg (22.19 KiB) Viewed 12155 times
bag two.jpg
bag two.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 12155 times
bag one.JPG
bag one.JPG (21.86 KiB) Viewed 12155 times
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
John Vardanian

Re: Tool Bag

Post by John Vardanian »

Pardon my ignorance, but where is this to be used? It looks like it would fit to the end of the grease gun and would grease something. I was lubing the chassis today and saw this and wondered if I am leaving something out. Thanks.

john

PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: The Grease Gun Adapter is for lubing the propshaft U-joints. On many of the cars, a grease fitting in the U-joint adds enough length to cause the fitting to hit the tunnel as the suspension moves and the shaft travels up and down and forward and backward. So the factory installed low profile plugs in the joints. Remove the plug, insert the adapter , grease the joint, replace the plug. And yes, I have personally seen Ferraris that will break the zerks off of the joints when driven. Do not ask how I know this.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke, as always. Someone had fit a Zerk on the U-joint, it turns out.

Another question, aside from this U-joint, all the other fittings are the "button" type, except the ones in the steering ball joints. Did the ball joints also have button fittings originally? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: I would need to see a photo of one of your ball joints.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

John Vardanian wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but where is this to be used? It looks like it would fit to the end of the grease gun and would grease something. I was lubing the chassis today and saw this and wondered if I am leaving something out. Thanks.

john
Photos courtesy of Lowell Brown
Plug:
DSCN2194.jpg
DSCN2194.jpg (128.96 KiB) Viewed 11964 times
Extension where plug was:
DSCN2208.jpg
DSCN2208.jpg (109.64 KiB) Viewed 11964 times
Note, this extension is later than John's with a Zerk fitting rather than the flat button of earlier cars.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Kerry, I just went thru all this and used the hole of that little plug screw to pull out/put in the cotter pin that goes in the pinion shaft castle nut. I am curious as to what is there that needs to be greased. There is no moving part there. There is just a cavity and that cavity is where the little driveshaft "mushroom" goes. I think that mushroom is there to keep the driveshaft from falling down in case the U-joints break.

john

PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

DWR46 wrote:John: I would need to see a photo of one of your ball joints.
Hi Dyke, here is a picture of the ball joints.

john

PF Coupe
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks Kerry, I just went thru all this and used the hole of that little plug screw to pull out/put in the cotter pin that goes in the pinion shaft castle nut. I am curious as to what is there that needs to be greased. There is no moving part there. There is just a cavity and that cavity is where the little driveshaft "mushroom" goes. I think that mushroom is there to keep the driveshaft from falling down in case the U-joints break.

john
The 3330 grease fitting on the front of the drive shaft is to grease the splines that move in and out as the rear end bounces back and forth, effectively changing the length of the drive shaft.

I was at Pebble Beach a few years ago when Bruce McCaw's 250 Spirementale was being judged. The car had button grease fitting. That little drive shaft fitting had a Zerk fitting. He had some fraction of a point deducted. I think that he lost out to --- if memory serves (which it most often does not) --- Jon Shirley. I know more details of this story that I think that I should keep to myself.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks Kerry, I just went thru all this and used the hole of that little plug screw to pull out/put in the cotter pin that goes in the pinion shaft castle nut. I am curious as to what is there that needs to be greased. There is no moving part there. There is just a cavity and that cavity is where the little driveshaft "mushroom" goes. I think that mushroom is there to keep the driveshaft from falling down in case the U-joints break.

john

John,
Between murhroom and 4 eye flage there should be a metal-spacering that why you can put in some grace there.
you´re picture below shows a rear axle of 1963/64 , NOT of an PF coupe .
these also owns a spacering in between see partscatalog.

C.
Attachments
Picture122.jpg
Picture122.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 11937 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Lowell wrote:
"
The 3330 grease fitting on the front of the drive shaft is to grease the splines that move in and out as the rear end bounces back and forth, effectively changing the length of the drive shaft."

Glad to be not the only one with typing mistakes.

But this is maybe interesting ,I do own a 4 speed gearbox with intergrated sliding mechanic in the back.
so the prop shaft if stiff.
Comes probebly out of an SWB or LUSSO
Somebody reconise this works modification ?
bought at Auto Toni just oposite of Ferrari works in around 1992.

C.
Attachments
Magnesium housing alll around
Magnesium housing alll around
Unknown.jpeg (121.9 KiB) Viewed 11933 times
sliding mechanisme
sliding mechanisme
Unknown-2.jpeg (137.15 KiB) Viewed 11933 times
PF prop on right
PF prop on right
Unknown-1.jpeg (140.94 KiB) Viewed 11933 times
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John:

1. Your tie rod ends with the zerk fittings are correct. That is the style the factory went to after the adjustable all metal ends.

2. The drive shaft "mushroom" is to keep the rubber donut aligned. It is VERY IMPORTANT that this be greased well. Wear on this item will create major driveshaft vibrations. There is much more wear possibilities here than you may think. If it is allowed to wear too much, the only solution is to have it metal sprayed and re-ground to size, or to insert a sleeve in the shaft and remachine.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Dyke, I am still trying to understand... so if not properly lubricated, is it the mushroom that wears? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: Most of the wear will occur on the mushroom, though both rubbing surfaces will wear. If the inner surface of the shaft, where the mushroom rides, is worn, we have successfully used spacer washers on the donut to move the shaft just enough for the mushroom to then ride on a "fresh" surface.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

DWR46 wrote:John: Most of the wear will occur on the mushroom, though both rubbing surfaces will wear. If the inner surface of the shaft, where the mushroom rides, is worn, we have successfully used spacer washers on the donut to move the shaft just enough for the mushroom to then ride on a "fresh" surface.

Well original a " tappo ad espansione " was placed inside.
I made these out of rubber nowadays to protect the mushroom.
AFAIK they were made out of steel in those days but are unsure.
I only have seen this only once.
Sorry for the brown pics but my WSM is old and used

C.
Attachments
nr 27
nr 27
IMG_1020.jpg (165.31 KiB) Viewed 11889 times
IMG_1019.jpg (160.64 KiB) Viewed 11889 times