Cross Reference for Clutch Master and Slave

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Cross Reference for Clutch Master and Slave

Post by Steve Meltzer »

The slave cylinder on my GTC is leaking and needs to be rebuilt, or replaced. Is there a cross reference to say, Alfa or Fiat for this?
The master cylinder seems OK, but should I rebuild it at this time, or not? Cross reference for that? thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
250GT

Re: Cross Reference for Clutch Master and Slave

Post by 250GT »

If this is what you mean Steve give me a PM
can be bought at every good supplier new.

C.
Attachments
FERclutchcyl 330.jpg
FERclutchcyl 330.jpg (21.77 KiB) Viewed 11245 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Cornelis,

Isn't that the clutch master? Steve's slave cylinder is leaking.

Steve, Why not just buy the correct Ferrari part? Push rod lengths and spring attachments might be different and you won't know until you install it, but do you want to do things the hard way? :wink:

The one piece that is often not replaced is the flex hose, which is a pain in the butt to change. Now is a good time to replace it.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053

Post by 8339 »

Tom. I'm with you and let me carry that one farther. Any time any of my customers need hydraulics replaced I replace the master, slave and hose or hoses. Sure as hell as soon as you replace one component the other one is sure to fail.

Richard Garre
Radcliffe Motorcar Co.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Well Tom and 8339 the question was concerning CLUTCHMASTERr and SLAVE.
Both parts can be bought at Fiat 2300.
But are not cheaper there.

My attitude :I always prefer to bay new as long its available, and overhaul the org. one in winter as spare .

When you invest around 220 euros you have BOTH all new.
and can drive one week later again.
and that counts I think.

Steve next time pic of manual please for better understanding for foreigner( me)

ciao
C.
Attachments
OKPFE500259_KupplGeb_Alu_Ferrari_275_330.jpg
OKPFE500259_KupplGeb_Alu_Ferrari_275_330.jpg (2.4 KiB) Viewed 11226 times
pompa frizione ferrari.jpg
pompa frizione ferrari.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 11226 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

What the hell is an
Fiat 2300 ?
C.
Attachments
800px-Fiat_2300S_Coupe_BW_2.jpg
800px-Fiat_2300S_Coupe_BW_2.jpg (146.73 KiB) Viewed 11223 times
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Sounds like a new master and slave are readily available and might be the best way to go. Is that right? Tom, the hose you're advising me to replace is from the reservoir to the master, right? It is my slave that's leaking, tho' the master (which Cornellis featured) does have this weird corrosion/crud on it's outer, visible surface, but isn't leaking. thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Steve: The hose they are telling you to replace is the high pressure flex hose that goes from the hard line under the car to the slave. When you are ready to bleed the system, let me know as there are tricks to bleeding it out. You might want to think about converting to silicone fluid at this time also.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx Dyke, I bought a new slave cylinder, but, for the moment decided to leave the MC alone. A new one is $250+, and since mine is working fine and it will no easier nor harder to do that later, I decided to wait. I'll change that hi pressure hose as well. thanx. steve
steve meltzer,
250GT

Post by 250GT »

http://www.ebay.it/itm/CILINDRO-SECONDA ... 451wt_1075

For those who would like one in stock.

C.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, thanx, Cornellis. At least I didn't get ripped off. Paid $75 for the new slave from T. Rutand's. Well, there's an anomaly: for once a Ferrari part was less than a Fiat. Whata deal, maybe I'll be two. s
steve meltzer,
airsanford

Post by airsanford »

No silicone fluid. Castrol DOT 4 is the way to go.
Suebian330

Post by Suebian330 »

Gentlemen,

why not using silicone brake fluid for clutch operation, any problems?
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I have used silicone fluid in all my personal street Ferraris for both brakes and clutch since 1977. Absolutely no problems. I change it every 10 years out of guilt, but have never seen a real need to change it. I also do NOT flush or dismantle the systems before installing the fluid, just drain out the old and put in the silicone. Silicone will not work with ABS systems, so do not use it in cars having ABS brakes. We do not use it in our race cars, due to its having a temperature "window of compressability". If you want to read a well researched and objective article on silicone fluid, look at http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technica ... /Fluid.htm

With all this said, I am going to set back and watch all the screaming and yelling.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Really, there should be no problems using it and it has distinct advantages over DOT 4 stuff: won't corrode paint should you spill it, never have to change it again and very high boiling point (more applicable to brake use, than clutch, of course). However, and there's always a "but", it's pretty expensive, compared to DOT 4. Most importantly however, it's tough to bleed. As I understand it, and all you chemists and CEs, don't hesitate to chime in, it entraps air bubbles; that was my experience the one time I tried to use it in an old 'Vette. I think you have to pump the pedal painfully slowly to keep from getting this entrapment effect. s
steve meltzer,