Oil Rear GT330 Leaf Springs?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT

Re: Oil Rear GT330 Leaf Springs?

Post by 330GT »

I have a manual for the Houdaille shocks at home. I'll look to see what it contains in a week or so.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John Vardanian wrote:Cornelis, do you have an exploded diagram of the Houdaille lever shock? I have always wondered how they come apart. Thanks.

john
John,
This is the manual I use from an other Dutchman Mr. Schaatsbergen.
I think rather good can be enlarged and printed

C.

link

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Ford/Haudaille/index.html
Yale

Post by Yale »

Damn, that is cool. Y.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Cornelis, thanks. This is a study course for sure. I shall print and tackle when I work up the nerve to tackle. Thanks again.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Tom, I was looking at your latest post on leaf springs (Yale's car) and am trying to find out how the leaf spring tool attaches to the spring. I am in a predicament. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
Yale

Post by Yale »

It sounds like it involves a lot of cursing!
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

and bleeding
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Our spring compressor tool attaches to the leaf spring clips that hold the leafs together. The threaded rod on our compressor tool has a sleeve welded on the end so it replaces the sleeve on the small bolt that holds the spring leafs together.

There wasn't a lot of cursing this time, but there was definitely bleeding.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Two very important points.
1. the bolt with the sleeve can be seen in this picture. You remove the bolt and sleeve, and replace the sleeve with one attached to the compressor.
2. notice the position of the shackle. It's positioned at about 6 o'clock when the suspension is loaded. If the leaf spring is allowed to arch too much into the shape of a "U," the shackle will turn inwards, and the spring will not articulate correctly. This position is kept correct by not letting the suspension drop too far through the correct set up of the axle limiting cables.

Kerry can tell you all about this on his website!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

tyang wrote:...
notice the position of the shackle. It's positioned at about 6 o'clock when the suspension is loaded. If the leaf spring is allowed to arch too much into the shape of a "U," the shackle will turn inwards, and the spring will not articulate correctly. This position is kept correct by not letting the suspension drop too far through the correct set up of the axle limiting cables.

Kerry can tell you all about this on his website!

Tom
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/P ... ension.htm
John Vardanian wrote:Hi Tom, I was looking at your latest post on leaf springs (Yale's car) and am trying to find out how the leaf spring tool attaches to the spring. I am in a predicament. Thanks.

john
The one my friend George built had bolts that fit through the spring eyes by the bushings. A little simpler, but I've never used it to completely remove the spring to refurbish the bushing. The bolt might get in the way of R&R of the bushings.
Attachments
P1000545_small.jpg
P1000545_small.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 11979 times
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Is it possible to see if the bushings are badly worn without taking the whole spring out?

For example, I think that the rear mounting is more accessible .
Is it possible to remove the mounting bolt inside the bushing and pry the spring our far enough to examine the bushing,
without

1) having the spring put you in the hospital;

2) being able to put the spring back for re-assembly after it is pried out to examine the bushing.

If the rear bushing is warn, then it should be replaced --- and I presume that if the front busing is worn so is the rear.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Kerry. The thin aluminum shims, I noticed you put them on the top side of the spring. Are you sure this is where they belong, or should they go on the bottom side? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember them going on the bottom side. I'd appreciate you confirming this as I am beginning to doubt my memory. Thanks.

Lowell, thanks, I think I am going for the Sicard style attachment, where pulling is done on the spring's own brackets. I was worried that this techniques might dislodge the rivet that holds the bracket in place (where as your friend's technique will not), but I figured if it has worked for Sicrard over the years, it might be safe to try.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks Kerry. The thin aluminum shims, I noticed you put them on the top side of the spring. Are you sure this is where they belong, or should they go on the bottom side? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember them going on the bottom side. I'd appreciate you confirming this as I am beginning to doubt my memory. Thanks.

Lowell, thanks, I think I am going for the Sicard style attachment, where pulling is done on the spring's own brackets. I was worried that this techniques might dislodge the rivet that holds the bracket in place (where as your friend's technique will not), but I figured if it has worked for Sicrard over the years, it might be safe to try.

john
Hi John,

There is a lot of tension, especially when dealing with the earlier cars, but it's worked so far (knock on wood). The 330 I just worked on had less tension because the spring rate was lower due to the coil over set up.

Lowell,

You can usually see how bad the bushing is without pulling it all apart. Look carefully at the way the rear shackle lines up with parallel with the leaf spring bushing. The worn bushing will usually allow the leaf spring to move out of position.

It may be impossible to pull the rear spring mount out without removing lower locating arm and the axle mounting bolts. It'll also be impossible to move the spring out without taking the tension out with a spring compressor tool.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Yale

Post by Yale »

Hey Tom, did you make white Teflon bushings for my springs like you have on your car? Am I just looking at the old and not the new bushings in your photos? (From Berlin, after driving on the autobahn at 110mph in a new rented bmw and have people blow by me I can see the reason for a new Ferrari or Porsche for that matter).
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Tom wrote:
"Our spring compressor tool attaches to the leaf spring clips that hold the leafs together. The threaded rod on our compressor tool has a sleeve welded on the end so it replaces the sleeve on the small bolt that holds the spring leafs together"

The reason to use the springclips could be the location of the connection rods
The pre 1960 cars has the attachment lateral from the spring fixation see last pic
GTE ,330 GT Etc has this fixcation under and above the fix plate .
So these could be more accessible this way
For older cars I made this construction.
the lower bar must be smaller than the 4 fixation plate holes.
Use longer bolts to put every thing together than you can replace these later with the org ones .
see Kerry.

C.
Attachments
0017.jpeg
0017.jpeg (90.32 KiB) Viewed 11960 times
0016.jpeg
0016.jpeg (84.62 KiB) Viewed 11960 times
lateral connection points of connection rods
lateral connection points of connection rods
IMG_2736.jpeg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 11960 times