Seat Belts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Seat Belts

Post by Tom Wilson »

The topic of seat belts has been discussed on this forum from time to time. I just picked up a 1961 issue of Autocar, in which the Technical Editor gets to drive Sergio Farina's personal 250 GTE, complete with seat belts. I have posted pictures from the magazine at:

http://www.wagnerstreet.com/Toms%20Phot ... gazine.htm

I have also included a couple of seat belt ads that appear in this magazine. Farina's are bulky and aren't the best looking; but if someone want's "original" style and attachment, they couldn't beat the ones chosen by Sergio Farina.

Another interesting note: The reviewer attained a "mean maximum speed" (over a timed kilometer) of 137.2 mph!
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Yeah they're pretty bulky, and the way the buckle comes across the seat, would eventually scuff the leather. After all the struggles I've been through with my seats, I would hate to have the seats get ruined by those meanacing buckles!

Tom (Yang)
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

The photos show the floor anchor on the door side to be straight down from the seatback, probably at the floor rail. The inside floor attachment seems to be a little further back. Tom, is there a reason why you are mounting yours beside the back seat?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Since I'm using retractors, when everything is retracted, it'll be a neater installation where I have the belts mounted. If the lower point is mounted by the seat rail, the belt will be seen hanging down when you open the door.

Does this make sense?

Tom
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

It makes perfect sense. You also may get a safer belt, because the angle of the belt when coming from behind would seem to be better than coming from straight down.