Radiators

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Radiators

Post by John Vardanian »

I want to have my PF coupe's radiator re-cored. Is there anything I should look out for, ask about, do/not do, etc.? I'd be interested in any lessons learned. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Re: Radiators

Post by tyang »

'63 330 America #5053
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... Since you are in 'Frisco, here's an answer from one of my Morgan mates. This shop is in Concord so not far away. Worth a visit. Tim

This has become the most popular tradesman address I am asked for. Your friend needs to take his Ferrari radiator (vintage or modern? Johnny will do vintage, not modern) to Johnny in person. Johnny will copy and make a true replica of the radiator with new tanks, baffles, and a modern copper ribbon matrix. He may have to use the frame/shell of the old radiator, depending on how vintage, unique it is, and he will braise on the old metal ID tags, etc. that were on the old radiator. Also, if it has a temperature sender bung or strut supports (like a +4 rad) he will salvage those from the old and transfer to the new. But your friend must discuss all this in person with Johnny for a proper, completely understood job order. Button was an exception, he got a mail order +4 rad, because Johnny had made a template one after I kept bringing him so many orders for +4 rads.

Anyways, the address:

BICO Radiator Fabrication
2322A Bates Ave.,
Concord

tel. 925-671-2975 call to set up appointment.

Also, just thought of this: I am not sure Johnny does or is set up to do Alloy Rads, is this an alloy? Your friend will need to check this out. Johnny is a craftsman, not a wet tank radiator shop, so he will charge a fair price for the labor and materials involved, depending on rising costs of copper, bronze, etc. He takes cash only. He charges between $350-400 for the +4 rads, that might be a yardstick, but that is a fairly simple straightforward radiator. And its worth every penny, it is pressure tested up to 18 lbs, he will change the neck for a modern pressure sealing cap for overflow tank, and you can run for ex a 7lb cap and have a pressurized overflow/recovery system on a +4, great stuff.

bw, gordon
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks, this BICO is close enough to my house.

john
PF Coupe
Yale

Post by Yale »

I am on my fifth radiator out operation and perhaps third or fourth re-core. Three different mechanics by the way. The last time it cost $1600! to take the radiator out and re-core it. Please someone come up with a way for us east coast guys to have someone remake these for us as well. And John PLEASE tell us what the price actually is when you get this done. Don't forget.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Yale I had mine done 8-10 years ago and have had zero issues Buddy O went to same shop w also no issues The shop is near by and quite reasonable M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
Yale

Post by Yale »

Yeah 8-10 years ago a radiator core for our cars was something like $350 this year I paid over $900. Perhaps you could ask your guys what they are charging these days? I think China has been buying up all the radiator cores (smiley face here that works with Toms site and lets those reading know that I'm joking).
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo