What about waterless coolant?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Yale

What about waterless coolant?

Post by Yale »

I think my header says it all. Why aren't we all using that?
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
DWR46

Re: What about waterless coolant?

Post by DWR46 »

There are lots of reasons to not use it. However, this is another subject that is better left to someone else.
tyang

Post by tyang »

I know one Ferrari Mechanic swears by the stuff, but I feel if the system is operating correctly, you don't need it. Just MHO.

Everybody sticks with what they like. There's no one right way, but if you try something new, and blow a head gasket, who's responsible?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
AllTwelve

Post by AllTwelve »

... glad this was brought up. I'm thinking of changing out the coolant on the Daytona as it has been about 3 years. Was going to go with standard Prestone and distilled water at a 50/50 ratio. Just going to drain and not flush. Anyone have thoughts on what's the 'best coolant brand' for vintage Ferraris?

Thanks,

AT
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

DO NOT use "long life" (5 year) antifreeze. Use Conventional antifreeze. There is a great product called No-Rosion. It is very popular in the classic car part of this hobby. We also use it in the vintage race cars, where antifreeze is not allowed for safety reasons. No-Rosion is the real deal, not some snake-oil. Their website has much more information about coolants and anti-corrosion additives. Pure water is the BEST coolant, but I realize the need for freeze protection for most of us. No-Rosion plus Conventional antifreeze is good for five years. That is what we use.
AllTwelve

Post by AllTwelve »

Tom - Francois likes to add a couple of squirts of some kind of oil (Marvel Mystery?) to the coolant which I believe he says helps to lubricate the water pump. Can you please ask him what it is?

Thanks,

AT
tyang

Post by tyang »

AllTwelve wrote:Tom - Francois likes to add a couple of squirts of some kind of oil (Marvel Mystery?) to the coolant which I believe he says helps to lubricate the water pump. Can you please ask him what it is?

Thanks,

AT
Conventional Antifreeze has all the lubrication you need for the water pump. I've seen him try a water wetter, but not MM oil.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
AllTwelve

Post by AllTwelve »

Tom,

Initially, I was unaware Francois was using this. When I opened the radiator cap and I first saw it, I thought --oh no I have oil in the coolant! Whatever it was he was using had a grayish color that was floating on the surface of the coolant. I cut thin strips of paper towel and started trying to wick it out.

When I came to the shop one day, I mentioned this to him. He smiled and explained it was trick he had learned (from Nereo Iori), and that it helped to lubricate the water pump. He then opened the radiator cap, took a dirty white squeeze bottle and put a couple more squirts in.

AT
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

That sounds like a water soluable oil, similiar to the oil used in Bars-Leaks. It is designed to lubricate water pump seals.