330 GTC overflow tank

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

330 GTC overflow tank

Post by enio45 »

Does anyone have a pic of the overflow tank mounting bracket for the gtc? THe one on my customer car looks to be a home made strap.

ALso - the mounting position is on the right side of the lower grill - i assume that is correct due to the double bumps on the lower valance panel?

Thanks for the advise
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
tyang

Re: 330 GTC overflow tank

Post by tyang »

enio45 wrote:Does anyone have a pic of the overflow tank mounting bracket for the gtc? THe one on my customer car looks to be a home made strap.

ALso - the mounting position is on the right side of the lower grill - i assume that is correct due to the double bumps on the lower valance panel?

Thanks for the advise
Hi Ed,

I seem to recall on a GTC there are mounting points pop riveted to the lower valence that receives the overflow tank bracket. I'm expecting a GTC at the shop today, and if I get a chance, I'll take a picture.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

IMG_5923.JPG
IMG_5923.JPG (199.07 KiB) Viewed 11119 times
IMG_5921.JPG
IMG_5921.JPG (208.1 KiB) Viewed 11119 times
IMG_5919.JPG
IMG_5919.JPG (242.02 KiB) Viewed 11119 times
Ed, I shot these from my GTC this AM. I don't know if this factory correct and my apologies for the fuzzy, unfocused shot from below...looks like I did finish that last martini! Do you like the oriental carpet? steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Oh yeah, Ed, my overflow tank sits dead in the middle. You get that sense from one of the photos. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Steve, do you that car in the living room :lol: !!

I see it mounted in the middle, not sure i can tell the mounting yet. Let me see what Tom provides and thank you for the pic.
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

looks to me like a right angled strap, bolted down on either side. Doesn't really appear to be that robust, but it does the job. Certainly not over-engineered. That carpet had so much cat pee it finally got relegated to the garage! s
steve meltzer,
enio45

Post by enio45 »

then it may be simular to the 330 GT tank hold down - a strap that is bolted on each side to the lower valance....i would think so - ?
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I think so, too. But don't forget the OEM carpet! s
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Unfortunately, the GTC did not arrive yesterday, and by the time it does, I'll be on my way to Wisconsin. I'm sure I'll see a couple of GTCs out there, and I'll try to take some pictures.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jim Wickstead

Post by Jim Wickstead »

The GTC overflow tank is located in the center and is held down by a sheet metal strap bolted to the attachment fitting. I have the grill out of my car (1968) and photographed it for clarity. It's possible that this location may vary. Let's see if I can upload the shots.

Jim W.
Attachments
GTC Rad expansion tank_mount.jpg
GTC Rad expansion tank_mount.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 11060 times
GTC Rad expansion tank.jpg
GTC Rad expansion tank.jpg (19.18 KiB) Viewed 11060 times
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Jim, your car is so gorgeous. Makes me feel embarrassed that I posted the pictures I did...glad now that they were fuzzy, so there'll be some doubt as to the
car's esthetics. s
steve meltzer,
Jim Wickstead

Post by Jim Wickstead »

Steve, thanks for the compliment, but to be fair, I have had the car apart for 4 years with the drive train out and suspension removed. I have spent hours and hours cleaning, fixing and detailing so it would be as close to original as possible. In 1986 I totally restored the car so this was just a "midlife freshing up". When you have the time, equipment and willingness to do it yourself, you can dictate the results. Unfortunately, to do these cars right, they need to come apart first. but once done right, it's just a matter of ongoing maintenace to keep them fresh. Cosmetics are just one person's choice. Your car is just fine. Enjoy it.

Jim
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Looks like my customer car is missing the tank stands and the correct strap as in Jim's pic....unless, as jim stated they moved the tank moutning.

If it had the tank stands, then the overflow tank strap u would think would be the same for the gt and the gtc which i have an original str

My orig strap has a raised area across the top of it. If i can get a small size pic, ill post it.
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Jim Wickstead

Post by Jim Wickstead »

Ed,

PF was pretty consistent and I suspect the tank was always located in the center. the tank stand was riveted to the lower body panel. Possibly this was lost during some body work event. The GTC strap often had a foam pad adhered to the underside where it contacted the overflow tank.

I don't know if you are aware but there is a cover that fits under the radiator attaching the the lower front body work with 4 bolts. If you notice the front chassis underside, there are two straps near the radiator mounts that connect with spacers to the back of this cover. This part is often missing since it's prone to curb damage. I think Tom has a link and better description.

What is the serial number of the car you're working on?

Jim
tyang

Post by tyang »

Jim Wickstead wrote:Ed,

PF was pretty consistent and I suspect the tank was always located in the center. the tank stand was riveted to the lower body panel. Possibly this was lost during some body work event. The GTC strap often had a foam pad adhered to the underside where it contacted the overflow tank.

I don't know if you are aware but there is a cover that fits under the radiator attaching the the lower front body work with 4 bolts. If you notice the front chassis underside, there are two straps near the radiator mounts that connect with spacers to the back of this cover. This part is often missing since it's prone to curb damage. I think Tom has a link and better description.

What is the serial number of the car you're working on?

Jim
I also have this cover in a correct fiberglass reproduction.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053