lots of engine heat coming into car

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

GEODAVKY

lots of engine heat coming into car

Post by GEODAVKY »

No matter how I set the controls there's a lot of engine heat coming into the car. Where exactly does fresh air come from that is supposed to come into the front seat area? And does a fair amount come in if working properly?
One thing that occurred to me is that might cause this is that my car does not have pan on the bottom. Does anybody else without the pan have this problem?
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
tyang

Re: lots of engine heat coming into car

Post by tyang »

Please tell us which car you have. An easy way to do this is to change your signature in your user settings to include your car model.

Kerry Chesbro has a very nice diagram on operating the heating ventilation on 330s, but I would also check to see if the heater control valves are working. An easy check is to shut off the heat, get the car up to operation temperature, and feel the heater hoses on either side of the control valves. If they're warm on both ends, the valves might be stuck open.

I have found the original floor insulation to be marginal at keeping the radiant heat out of the passenger compartment. Four sets of mufflers along with the headers right on the other side of the front passenger footwells give off a lot of heat.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

Whoops. 1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson

Do you think not having the pan on the bottom makes a difference?
The control valves are stuck open, but the thermostat control is closed or off. Guess that is not enough?
I have just started to look at insulation starting with Dynamat, but know there are others.
Thanks,
George
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
330GT

Post by 330GT »

A couple of things to look at:
1. Heat shields in place? On top of the mufflers. Over the connector pipe to exhaust pipe joint (under and in front of the foot well).
2. Holes in the fire wall? Missing or bad grommets? The engine compartment heat can easily leak through any holes.
3. Transmission tunnel well sealed? Mine was pretty open at the rear (large enough for mice to enter!) and a lot of heat was coming in. Some foam at the back blocked a lot of heat. I also added some aluminum to stop the mice.

I don't thing that a belly pan affects the heat inside, except that it keeps the transmission cooler, thus less heat between the seats.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi George,

I don't think a belly pan would make a difference. The two largest sources of heat are from the exhaust and the heater cores. The cable control valves do a poor job of shutting off the heat completely, hence the knobs they installed on the heater hoses! Dynamat will work well, but there are tons of cheaper alternatives without the branding!

Tom
GEODAVKY wrote:Whoops. 1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson

Do you think not having the pan on the bottom makes a difference?
The control valves are stuck open, but the thermostat control is closed or off. Guess that is not enough?
I have just started to look at insulation starting with Dynamat, but know there are others.
Thanks,
George
'63 330 America #5053
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

Rebuilding the 2 shutoff valves did the trick. Now it's much cooler. They were letting hot water through even though closed.
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Your heater valve could be stuck.

john
PF Coupe