Along with the door handles I have got the rear quarter window latches back from the platers.
I should have taken a “before” photo, but forgot. Take my word for it they were awful. I drilled out the flared ends of the pins on one side and drifted them out so that the parts could be cleaned up for plating.
Interestingly there is a real mixed bag of metals in these little items so each was treated appropriately.
Since the pins were destroyed when taking the components apart I found some 3mm stainless bar on ebay and cut it to length for each pin.
It takes quite a bit of doing to “rivet flare” the pins back in so that the parts go together and move freely. I made a 3mm hole in a spare bit of steel with a very small taper in the end and flared one end of each pin before I put the parts together. This allowed me to measure the length of the pin as it shortens as you flare the end. In this way I knew how long (over length) they needed to be before compression; since when they are in if they are too long you can’t file the ends without risk to chrome damage. Anyhow with a little extra time and effort they came out perfect.
1 post • Page 1 of 1