drive line noise

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

GEODAVKY

drive line noise

Post by GEODAVKY »

Looking for what could be causing a drive line noise at highway speeds. It doesn't be noticeable until you reach 60 mph or so. There might be some vibration as well.
Any ideas?
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
John Vardanian

Re: drive line noise

Post by John Vardanian »

You'll need to first identify the frequency of the noise, meaning, is it in tune with wheel speed or the engine speed.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi George,

Another thing you need to feel is where is the vibrating coming from. Do you feel it in the shifter, steering wheel, or even the driver's seat.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

The noise is in tune with wheel speed. Put the clutch in and the noise is still there.
You feel it in the seat.
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi George,

Is the noise knocking or rumbling? Is it a dull sound, or a sharp metallic sound. All these clues leads you to the source. How tight are the wheels? I always check the easiest things first. Wheels could be out of balance. Swap front to back and see if it changes. Once you eliminate the wheels as the source, the driveshaft could be next to check. You could have a worn bushing that shows up when something vibrates.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

Wheels were tightened, but that didn't help.
I'll check the balance of each.
Bruce (working on the car) thinks it might be the driveshaft. He's at VIR so I cannot do any more until Monday.
What bushing are you speaking of?
I forgot to mention that my car has a high speed whine--something like straight cut gears. Don't know if that is related or not.
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Propshaft or rear axle. There is a "centering ball" at the rear of the propshaft to align the rubber donut. These can wear and cause the vibration. You will need machine work to resize it or maybe you can space the propshaft forward to cause the ball to run on unworn metal. Just some thoughts.
tyang

Post by tyang »

GEODAVKY wrote:Wheels were tightened, but that didn't help.
I'll check the balance of each.
Bruce (working on the car) thinks it might be the driveshaft. He's at VIR so I cannot do any more until Monday.
What bushing are you speaking of?
I forgot to mention that my car has a high speed whine--something like straight cut gears. Don't know if that is related or not.
There are a bunch of bushings like transmission bushings, motor mounts. They can wear and allow parts to touch and vibrate. The whine could just be a noisy rear diff. Does the whine change on acceleration and deceleration? may not be related.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

Thanks Tom.
I'll have to drive it again to tell you more about the whine.
I'll let you know what we find.
George
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

George,

I had the same problem. As I recall, Francois found the cause by swapping components from a similar chassis that did not have the problem until the problem went away. In my case it was the driveshaft. It had been improperly reballanced by a prior mechanic.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

Local balancing place could not balance the driveshaft because of the way they mount them. The universal joint appears to be bad so we are going to replace it, but GP Car Parts did not have the 100mm size that my car takes. Trying Dennis McCann next. But if he doesn't have it any suggestions as to where else to look?
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
cory

Post by cory »

Hi George,
You could try Goeff Ohland at partsource in Camden Maine or email Scott Devonport. Scott will need a part # and description. He is in the UK but will get back to you promptly, scottdevonport@sytner.co.uk
Cory
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... You could look in the bottom drawer of the cabinet just inside the door to my garage. Brand shiny (well, as shiny as they can be) new. Let me know.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

tim wrote:Greetings... You could look in the bottom drawer of the cabinet just inside the door to my garage. Brand shiny (well, as shiny as they can be) new. Let me know.

Tim
I sent you a PM
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

tim wrote:Greetings... You could look in the bottom drawer of the cabinet just inside the door to my garage. Brand shiny (well, as shiny as they can be) new. Let me know.

Tim
For whatever reason I cannot get a PM to send. It's either stuck in the outbox or it says you don't exist.
In any case I am interested and would like to know more. Is it the 100mm one? I could certainly use it if it is.
Thanks,
George
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson