Restoring 330GT 2+2 Rear Ashtray

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Darren C

Restoring 330GT 2+2 Rear Ashtray

Post by Darren C »

Each day before and after work I try and spend at least a couple of hours on one part or another of my car. Today I got back the tiny handle for the rear ashtray that sits between the rear seats in the arm rest. This is a tiny Chrome plated item held on with two M3 nuts to the front face of the ashtray. I managed to get it cleaned up ready to re-plate. Like most parts I have found, the chrome was very pitted and scratched. I sneaked this in with my friendly chrome plater and it came back perfect. They have the Bezel now, so when that’s hopefully re-plated in the next week or so I’ll post progress on that.
The face of the ashtray however is Stainless Steel, not chrome. Today I sanded out the Scratches (particularly bad in the top right corner)

I used 400 grade Wet & Dry and worked up to 1200 grit, then rubbing paste and T-cut to finally finish to a mirror scratch free shine. This took about 2 ½ hours by hand for the tiny 2” x 3” piece. I always use a little soap in the water when using the Wet and Dry paper as it stops any grit or removed material scratching the surface and lubricates the paper so it lasts longer.
You could of course use a polishing wheel, but that’s a luxury I don’t have.

All that was left to do was run a M3 die down the two studs on the handle and re-assemble. The tray itself I cleaned up with a brass wire brush and treated the small amount of corrosion with zinc spray.

Slowly but surely I’m finding trim parts from across the globe and straightening and polishing them ready to go back on the car. I’ve literally spent 100’s of hours on these bits so far, but it will be a real joy to put them on my car when the shell is ready. For now though they are collecting nicely in my shed.

In the meantime I’m on the hunt for a rear arm rest that the ashtray sits in if anyone has one?
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Small things make perfection, but perfection is no small thing.
tyang

Re: Restoring 330GT 2+2 Rear Ashtray

Post by tyang »

I think I have one! I'm heading back out of town, but shoot me an e-mail in a week or so if I don't get back to you. I'll donate it to the cause of your restoration if I have it, just pay for the shipping!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Wow Tom, that would be great, It's the upholstered hump between the two rear seat squabs that I need, I have the outer part of ashtray with bezel (at the chrome platers at the minute)
I'm not fussy on the armrest condition or colour, just finding one would be fantastic.

Kind regards
Darren
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Following my recovery from surgery I have had to take it easy for a few months. Today I managed to restart the project and completed the rear armrest ashtray.
Like most of the parts I have found the rear ashtray was in bad condition. I already refurbished the inner part and had stripped down the outer housing and chrome bezel. The bezel was very rusty and pitted, so I drilled out the aluminium rivets and took it off the housing.
This went off to the platers and came back on Friday last week, looking fantastic as usual.
To re assemble I needed to make new aluminium rivets to hold the bezel, housing and spring clips together. I managed to get a sample rivet at 8mm diameter. This was important to get the correct grade aluminium for riveting back together.

I turned down the 8mm rivet to make two 3mm countersunk 5mm head rivets on my lathe.

With a small hammer I hand riveted the parts back together.

Externally

and Internally

Completing the rear ashtray restoration, ready to store away for the grand assembly!

330GT 2+2 4HL 6727