Restoring 330 Rear Numberplate Lights

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Darren C

Restoring 330 Rear Numberplate Lights

Post by Darren C »

Today I started on the Rear number plate lights I’d acquired.
Like most parts I have located they really are in an awful state. The chrome tops were really badly scratched from being attached to a removed bumper and probably thrown around a garage concrete floor for many years. I took them apart and sanded out the scratches. One mounting stud had been screwed so hard into the chrome top from underneath it had made a raised lump in the top surface. I removed the stud and gently beat this down before sanding and fine wet and drying the surface ready for replating. Hopefully it wont show when plated. I dropped the two tops off at the platers and began work on the other parts this evening.

So starting with the hardest most corroded things first I used a little trick that I can share with you. A product called “Wonder Wheels” normally used to clean alloy wheels. It contains a mild phosphoric acid that eats away oxidation from metal (corrosion). I discovered a really neat trick with this product a few years ago.
While trying to fix a wiring fault on a 50 year old car I discovered that every time I cut back the power cable and stripped off the insulation, all I found was black/green corroded copper strands that would make a poor crimp joint or prove impossible to solder. I’m sure a few of you have come across this too. So I had an idea to pour a little Wonder Wheels into a Cola bottle screw lid a dip the wire end in it for 5 minutes. It was AMAZING the wire came up like new copper and I was able to solder a new fitting on with ease. Ever since then I use the stuff to clean up corroded or oxidised electrical car components including bulb holders that are notorious for furring up and stopping the Bulb from illuminating.
A 5 minute soak un an upturned rattle can lid and the intricate Bulb holders are free from corrosion.
For fun I even dipped the old corroded bulbs in too!

330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Small things make perfection, but perfection is no small thing.
Darren C

Re: Restoring 330 Rear Numberplate Lights

Post by Darren C »

This evening I spent a couple of hours working on cleaning up the lamp holder parts.

330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

I got the number plate lamp tops back from the chrome platers, and they look perfect! The raised lump where the stud had been over tightened and pushed up the casting which I filed down is invisible so I'm very happy they have come up flawless again.
It was a tough job cleaning the chrome plate out of the threads, but I managed to get a Die down them with a little patience. I made a couple of gaskets from rubber sheet. The clear lenses polished up ok and most of the fogging was gone. A day well spent in my shed!

The assembled lamps.

I’m pleased with the results considering how they looked at first.
All the small items I’m wrapping in bubblewrap ready for the big re-assembly when the shell is done. The rear bumper I have is very dented and bent out of shape so It’s going to take a few weeks to sort it out.

Does anyone have a set of front bumper irons and the chrome tube finishers that go over them (I have found some for the rear) even heavily corroded ones will be fine?
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Darren, is there a similar cleaning product in the US like “Wonder Wheels”? Or can this be purchased in the US? Looks like a nice solvent for these old delicate parts. Any one have a source?
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Hi Jimmy,
I didn't realise it was only a UK product. It's made by a car care company called "Carplan"
I did a quick google search and you can get it off of ebay, here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WONDER-WHEELS-5 ... 448wt_1170

This seller will ship world wide.

Regards
Darren
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727