Not What They Seem (Oldtimer Garage in Switzerland)

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330 America

Not What They Seem (Oldtimer Garage in Switzerland)

Post by 330 America »

I just bought the 330 America (Chassis 5061) at the Bonhams Auction in Gstaad, Switzerland last Friday. I was in Switzerland two weeks prior looking for a solid 250GTE and also spent the day with UK Ferrari expert Steve Pilkington in Liverpool looking at two 250's that he has for sale.

I visited a dealer in Switzerland (Oldtimer Garage) because the owner said he had a crisp grey/burgundy 250GTE. I burned the time/cash to fly to Geneva and then drive 2+ hours (each way) to his town outside Bern to drive the car. Once there, I found out the car was average at best and not what he represented. While they have an impressive list of cars (including a BMW 507), the cars have all been sitting for years and have fresh paint but are mechanically suspect (leaks, paint overspray on under-carraige components, etc.)

I do not recommend these guys. In my extensive search this Fall, I found the following websites as good sources for finding used Ferrari's:

www.classicdriver.com
www.ferraribuy.com

Just thought I'd pass this along for guys who do not have my flexibility in traveling to Europe to find a car. If you want more information, call me.
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
sagaponack

Post by sagaponack »

What did you think about their dark red 275gts?

All photos are from 20 feet away.

best,

Rob
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Their best cars are those that belong to their clients. This shop is really more of a maintenance shop for wealthy clients who own 275's, GTO's, etc. and who do race weekends.

The shop is filled with these "museum" cars but I don't think many have been started in a long time -- kind like the Lepeltier cars from the Gstaad auction.

I saw a couple 275's (not sure which one you are referring to), but I'd have a serious 3rd party evaluation done on any car you'd consider from them.

Don't get me wrong -- they're cool guys, but at the end of the day they are trying to sell cars so the condition is somewhat exagerated (at least the 250 GTE that I drove).
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)