Moderators: 330GT, abrent

cory

Post by cory »

#5749 had last been driven/started in the early 1980's. The gentleman that I purchased it from had owned the car since the 1970's. Aproximately 8 months had passed since we had first met and until we ultimately agreed on a sales price. Michele (Michael) was a bricklayer in NYC his entire life and had immigrated to the USA, from Italy, as a child. In our 8 month "game of tag" he told me stories of being in Italy as a boy and how idealized "Ferrari" was. We also spoke of how he couldnt wait to finally buy "his" Ferrari and how difficult it was for him to sell. One such negotion involved me driving to Staten Island NY to meet him. Once we started talking Michele was nervous and asked if I would have some wine with him. This started at 10am and continued thru the afternoon. When we finally got back to the purchase price of the car he sternly told me that he "doesnt speak about business when he is drinking wine". I think he just wanted someone to drink wine with! That did turn out to be a very long day. The car was bought, eventually, and the work began. I stayed in contact with Michele over the last couple of years, calling every 3-4 weeks and giving updates on the work. Calls to him went unanswered thru Thanksgiving and my calling got more frequent thru December.
1-6-14 I received a call from Tom Yang informing me that the engine and transmission work, that he and Francois were doing, was complete, tuning done and the car could be picked up. After receiving this call I immediatly thought that I needed to let Michele know that after all those years his car was running again. Not being able to reach him I thought that maybe the worst had happened. I called the Staten Island Corornors office and it was comfirmed that Michele Gargano had passed away on 11-22-13.
I just wanted to take a minute to thank Tom and Francois for the attention that was given to this motor and transmission. As I got it home today, fired it up, and finally drove it, the quality of workmanship was evident. The symphony that bellowed from the engine bay was incredible. Again thanks to Francois and Tom for a great job and to all on this site that have added a little something to this car thru my readings and answered questions.
Hopefully Michele was listening!
Attachments
DSC_0587.JPG
DSC_0587.JPG (240.9 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
Yale

Re: #5749

Post by Yale »

Really great to read this Cory! Look forward to meeting you some day. Best, Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings… And congratulations from little brother-5769

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
cory

Post by cory »

Thanks Yale and Tim.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Cory,

I remember when we met in Cavallino a couple years ago and you finally bought that car shortly after. I'm sorry to hear about the passing of the previous owner. Your work on this car will keep Michele's love in his old Ferrari alive, and it'll be a great memorial to him. We may have done some of the mechanical work, but wait until the public sees the work Cory's done. It will be one of the nicest SI 330s around!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
cory

Post by cory »

tyang wrote:Hi Cory,

I remember when we met in Cavallino a couple years ago and you finally bought that car shortly after. I'm sorry to hear about the passing of the previous owner. Your work on this car will keep Michele's love in his old Ferrari alive, and it'll be a great memorial to him. We may have done some of the mechanical work, but wait until the public sees the work Cory's done. It will be one of the nicest SI 330s around!

Tom
Thank You for the kind words.
Cory
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Nicely done Cory. As Tom said you are keeping Michele's spirit alive. I look forward to seeing you at a New England gathering some time.

Cheers,

Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
cory

Post by cory »

sam231 wrote:Nicely done Cory. As Tom said you are keeping Michele's spirit alive. I look forward to seeing you at a New England gathering some time.

Cheers,

Sam
Thanks Sam. I'll be looking for you.