Front Suspension GT330

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Suebian330

Front Suspension GT330

Post by Suebian330 »

Dear all,

After overhaul of the whole rear suspension today I turned to the front. After removal or the lever arms of top wishbone assembly I found wear of pivot and bushes. The pivot lost 0,15mm in diameter. I noticed that all the 4 upper bushes were made of some plastic material. So I wonder about the wear of the steel pivot sitting in plastic bushes. Is this the original material or did someone use a cheaper or home made replacement. I expected brass or bronze bushes.

Dieter
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]
Lowell

Re: Front Suspension GT330

Post by Lowell »

Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Suebian330 wrote:Dear all,

After overhaul of the whole rear suspension today I turned to the front.

Dieter
You did the whole thing in one day???!!!
Lowell Brown
250GT

Post by 250GT »

After overhaul of the whole rear suspension today I turned to the front. After removal or the lever arms of top wishbone assembly I found wear of pivot and bushes. The pivot lost 0,15mm in diameter. I noticed that all the 4 upper bushes were made of some plastic material. So I wonder about the wear of the steel pivot sitting in plastic bushes. Is this the original material or did someone use a cheaper or home made replacement. I expected brass or bronze bushes.

Dieter
Dieter,what you found there are org. pertinax bushes.
this material can swallow the grease into the material and give an continue supply, in contrary to the brass replacements now a days.
but should last( brass) an owners live with the hardly increasing average milage on those cars now.
you could see this as sliding mechanism system ( Gleitplatten in German).

C
see pix below the black one is swallowed by grease.
the others look like made out of wood.
Attachments
IMG_0273.jpg
IMG_0273.jpg (92.72 KiB) Viewed 8525 times
Suebian330

Post by Suebian330 »

Lowell and Cornelis also Tom,

thanks for your valuable hints. This forum is the best I ever met. Nearly no personal talks and arguing. The base is the tecnical side of our cars. Without this forum I would miss so much information. Here in Germany 330 owners are rare like hens theeth. So I can not drive around the corner to check anything at a similar car.

Thanks again and go ahead this way

Dieter
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]
tyang

Post by tyang »

Suebian330 wrote:Lowell and Cornelis also Tom,

thanks for your valuable hints. This forum is the best I ever met. Nearly no personal talks and arguing. The base is the tecnical side of our cars. Without this forum I would miss so much information. Here in Germany 330 owners are rare like hens theeth. So I can not drive around the corner to check anything at a similar car.

Thanks again and go ahead this way

Dieter
I created this website 14 years ago because there was such a scarcity of useable information on the internet back then, and thanks to some very knowledgeable people we've created a nice little corner of the internet to call our own! Thank you for participating!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Lowell wrote:

After overhaul of the whole rear suspension today I turned to the front.

Dieter
You did the whole thing in one day???!!!
Well, it took me months. (Of course I only worked several hours on it each week.) See

http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/R ... ension.htm
Lowell Brown
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Question... would there be any harm in replacing those fiber bushings with brass ones?

Mine were in a bad shaped and had them chrome plated somewhere in San Jose. They came out okay.

john

PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John Vardanian wrote:Question... would there be any harm in replacing those fiber bushings with brass ones?

Mine were in a bad shaped and had them chrome plated somewhere in San Jose. They came out okay.

john

John
both type has a groofchanel inside, they are not made out of fiber(flexability) those orginals can break in 100 parts like glass
By overhaulung some front suspensions,
The brass bushings shows not any wear but the axles does.
the org bushing get brook but donot in MY CASE harm the axles .

But hey most people start to maintain when some noise comes out the front train.

see picsbelow
the haevy worn one was supplied by brass bushes and aready "overhauld"
C.
Attachments
IMG_0274.jpg
IMG_0274.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 8464 times
IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0275.jpg (33.91 KiB) Viewed 8464 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Cornelis, thanks, this is what I have done, but was worried I would get yelled at. I got some bushing grade bronze tubing and made my own bushings. The hardest part was carving the grease channels inside, but all in all, not bad at all. I am still interested in other opinions.

john

PF Coupe
Suebian330

Post by Suebian330 »

I decided to use bronze bushings from a standard supplier. Unfortunately when I gaged the parent bores for the bushes I found a very high variation from bore to bore. The range was betweenn 31,82 and 32,02mm Manufacturing was obviously not at a high precision level, but luckily the bores were rather to small than to big. So in the small bores I never would be able to press in a standard bush with 32,02mm. I used a pivoted reamer to enlarge the bores and make sure they align. When i inserted the reamer it seems to me that Pininfarina used similar tooling as there was not an inch clearence left to insert the tool.
For the bronze bushes I used my wifes dentist ball mill to create the grease channels similar to the pertinax bushes. For the pivots 2 of them were so heavily worn that it needed more than 1mm additional material in radius. Hardchroming not possible. I decided to go to a special repair shop for sputtering material on the pivots. With the result I was satisfied see pic and it was half the price of new pivots.

Dieter
Attachments
Pivots after metal sputtering and regrinding .JPG
Pivots after metal sputtering and regrinding .JPG (170.93 KiB) Viewed 8313 times
Guided reamer.JPG
Guided reamer.JPG (221.28 KiB) Viewed 8313 times
Bronze bush with grease channels .JPG
Bronze bush with grease channels .JPG (161.01 KiB) Viewed 8313 times
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]