Brake line hoses

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Brake line hoses

Post by John Vardanian »

Are the ones that are sold today correct and orignal looking? What do the originals look like? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
afwrench

Re: Brake line hoses

Post by afwrench »

Hi John, I had new lines made. Braided SS with Teflon inside. Black shrink wrap around the SS and they look original with no worry about internal swelling. Good luck, Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: You can purchase correct looking rubber hoses from a number of suppliers, GT Car Parts, Rutland, etc. I assume this is for the Lusso. They are a standard Girling/Dunlop hose.
SLM

Post by SLM »

John Vardanian wrote:Are the ones that are sold today correct and orignal looking? What do the originals look like? Thanks.

john
John,
I don't think so. I just replaced mine which I think were over 20 years old. They were braided rubber with girling stampings. I purchased replacements from GTO who was the only place that had the correct fitting for the rear.(Kerry outlines this on his site). These hoses were rubber but not the braided rubber pattern. If you want to replicate the oem I think you would have to use your old fittings, have them replated ,find a correct matching hose and have a hydraulic shop assemble them. I will try and post a photo of the old hose material.
Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: Steve may well be correct. However, I know of no Concours judging that would complain about using the currently available OEM replacement hoses. I do believe that stainless steel braided hoses would result in a point deduction, but you should check with some judges. Honestly, the modifications needed to adapt the fittings to another hose may well do more damage to originality than using the current OEM hose, but let's see what Steve shows us.
SLM

Post by SLM »

F2.JPG
F2.JPG (32.06 KiB) Viewed 7746 times
F1.JPG
F1.JPG (34.26 KiB) Viewed 7746 times
DWR46 wrote:John: Steve may well be correct. However, I know of no Concours judging that would complain about using the currently available OEM replacement hoses. I do believe that stainless steel braided hoses would result in a point deduction, but you should check with some judges. Honestly, the modifications needed to adapt the fittings to another hose may well do more damage to originality than using the current OEM hose, but let's see what Steve shows us.
DWR-Agreed ,as I indeed used the current replacements. Just thought I would throw out the idea in case John wants to run with it.:)
62 250GTE S/N 3733
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Steve, so is the new-old-stock?

john
PF Coupe
SLM

Post by SLM »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks Steve, so is the new-old-stock?

john
These are the hoses that came off the car. They look like original replacements but I can't say if these were original factory since I have not had the car since new.
62 250GTE S/N 3733
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

I have seen a number of original girling brake hoses from the 60's. I agree with Steve that the photos he posted would be original. However I am not aware of anyplace that sells them with that texture. Generally if they have that texture and are not the ribbed style they should be replaced.

Cheers Jim