Repalcing 330 GTC clutch line rubber hose

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

5speed

Repalcing 330 GTC clutch line rubber hose

Post by 5speed »

I want to replace the rubber hose from the clutch slave cylinder to the steel supply line from the master cylinder. However, the one end of the hose is located in a body panel behind the wheelwell and above the heat shield over the exhaust. I cannot reach the end of the hose back in this hole to disconnect it. Is there a way to get access to the end of the hose? With the steel line disconnected from the master cylinder, can it be pulled up into the engine bay by the steel line after disconnecting the hose from the slave cylinder or can it be pulled out from the bottom far enough to reach the connection fitting? I decided to not bleed the clutch system until I replace this hose, it looks like it has been on the car for a long time.
Attachments
Clutch Hose #2 (Small).JPG
Clutch Hose #2 (Small).JPG (86.72 KiB) Viewed 10195 times
Clutch Slave#1  (Small).JPG
Clutch Slave#1 (Small).JPG (108.09 KiB) Viewed 10195 times
tyang

Re: Repalcing 330 GTC clutch line rubber hose

Post by tyang »

I think the steel line is held in place by an aluminum clip bolted to the fiberglass firewall. The flex line is bolted to a bracket where the steel line is attached. I don't think any of these pieces will move without unbolting these pieces. I wish I had a GTC at the shop to refresh my memory on a solution.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

What I noticed from your photos is that you are misisng the return spring on the slave cylinder. Without this spring, you cannot adjust the clutch correctly.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Also noticed the nuts securing the slave cylinder are removed, so maybe you also removed the return spring.
5speed

Post by 5speed »

I have removed the spring. I have also had the slave cylinder studs taken out so I could remove the slave cylinder( Put them back in for the picture). Getting to the end of the rubber hose seems impossible. The hose rubber is cracking so I have to replace it somehow.
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

tyang wrote:I think the steel line is held in place by an aluminum clip bolted to the fiberglass firewall. The flex line is bolted to a bracket where the steel line is attached. I don't think any of these pieces will move without unbolting these pieces. I wish I had a GTC at the shop to refresh my memory on a solution.

Tom
Here is a photo of the attachment of the clutch slave cylinder hose to the firewall of a 330GT 2+2
Fun, fun, you have to remove some carpeting in the cabin to put a wrench on the other side of the bolt to keep it from turning
Attachments
DSCN2074.jpg
DSCN2074.jpg (243.8 KiB) Viewed 10156 times
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
5speed

Post by 5speed »

I did remove the bolt and clamp that was holding the clutch steel line to the firewall (pulled cabin carpet down). However there must be another clamp as Tom suggested) at the bottom of the line where the rubber hose connection is located. With the firewall clamp removed, the steel line cannot be pulled up or moved sideways to get access to the end of the hose. It is so tight in that area that I cannot feel the end of the hose or any clamps holding things down.
tyang

Post by tyang »

5speed wrote:I did remove the bolt and clamp that was holding the clutch steel line to the firewall (pulled cabin carpet down). However there must be another clamp as Tom suggested) at the bottom of the line where the rubber hose connection is located. With the firewall clamp removed, the steel line cannot be pulled up or moved sideways to get access to the end of the hose. It is so tight in that area that I cannot feel the end of the hose or any clamps holding things down.
Does it look like you'll get better access to the line if you remove the rear header?

I have a 330GTS at the shop that I'm looking at, and access is no better.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

5speed wrote:I did remove the bolt and clamp that was holding the clutch steel line to the firewall (pulled cabin carpet down). However there must be another clamp as Tom suggested) at the bottom of the line where the rubber hose connection is located. With the firewall clamp removed, the steel line cannot be pulled up or moved sideways to get access to the end of the hose. It is so tight in that area that I cannot feel the end of the hose or any clamps holding things down.
Sorry, I am confused. Did you remove the hose connection to the steel line as shown in my photo, or is the arrangement in a GTC different from a GT 2+2 ? After I disconnected the hose from the line, I still had to remove the clamp from the firewall and then
remove the hose together with the clamp attached to it.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
5speed

Post by 5speed »

I have good news. I was able to remove the clutch hose without taking any other parts (like exhaust pipes) off of the car. I did removed the clamp holding the steel line and emergency brake cable on the firewall. Then I rigged up a small light to drop into the area behind the heat shield(from inside the engine bay) where the steel line joined to the hose so I could see what was holding the steel line and hose from coming out. Then I used a small mirror from the bottom of the car to follow the hose into the black hole. And sure enough there was a clamp around the hose with a bolt going down into the a threaded hole in the frame. Using my left hand to reach back into the hole and a 10mm wrench, I was able to back the bolt out (I could not get the right angle with my right hand) . I cut the hose off of the slave cylinder and pulled up the steel line with the hose attached from inside the engine bay. WHAT A RELEIF to get the deteriorated hose out. The light I dropped into the hole was the secret to finding the clamp that almost had me beat.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Good for you! I'm glad you stuck with it and found a solution. This is probably one of the few places on the Internet where the owners understand what a struggle it is to work on these cars sometimes!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
5speed

Post by 5speed »

One last post on this problem to show the clamp that held the hose and steel line with a 10mm size bolt that went into a threaded hole in the frame. Now can get the bolt back in the hole when I install the new hose. Since you cannot see the clamp in the black hole and can barely reach with your finger, I expect that to be the next challenge
Attachments
P1000895 (Small).JPG
P1000895 (Small).JPG (115.45 KiB) Viewed 10097 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Clete,

Good luck with the hose. I spent all day working on a 365GTC/4 engine compartment. If you think a 330GTC is hard, you have no idea...

Misery loves company, and company you have!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053