330 GTC motor mount replacement?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

330 GTC motor mount replacement?

Post by Jumprun »

Can anyone please provide a brief dis-assembly procedure for replacing the rubber parts of the motor mounts on a 330 GTC? How about the best source for the parts? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, --Tom M.
tyang

Re: 330 GTC motor mount replacement?

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom M,

This might give you some direction:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari1018.htm

Have fun!

Tom Y
'63 330 America #5053
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Thanks Tom, I forgot to search in the blog section.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Looking at Tom's posted link it appears that the aluminum mount must be removed with the rubber attached. I have removed the right side heat shield and exhaust header but I'm having a difficult time even getting a wrench on the two lower 17mm nuts on the mount and it appears I'll need to remove the starter shield at a minimum. Am I on the right track? Do I need to customize a wrench to get it on those lower nuts?

Another problem is that I can't get the left heat shield off, it seems to be getting hung up on the rear most exhaust bend and the footwell wall. No matter how I wiggle and twist it won't slip out. I don't need to remove the steering shaft or something other than the spark plug leads do I?

Since I'm in a whiney mood, I will also complain about how slow and difficult it was to remove the exhaust header nuts.

This whole job was prompted because my engine is sitting too low causing excessive misalignment with the top radiator fitting and the radiator tank, it is also stressing the fuel line that comes from the filter on the firewall...no slack at all!

Any encouragement or advice will be most welcome.
--Tom in SoCal
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

It's funny, I've been commiserating with several mechanics and owners this week about our private struggles working on old Ferraris, and I'm happy to share your gripes!

The header shield might be hanging up due to the worn motor mount. Try getting a jack and lifting the engine slightly with the motor mount nuts loose. That may give you enough clearance to get the shield off. Use a block of wood to spread the weight on the oil pan for lifting.

You may have to machine a socket or wrench down to fit on the nuts. Many of our tools are shaved down for close fitting nuts and bolts, so you may just have tools that need slight modifications. If you don't have a lathe, use a bench grinder.

Before putting the headers back in, chase the threads in the header heat shields with an appropriate tap and put some high heat anti seize in the hole so the next guy (probably you) won't snap a bolt off removing the shield years from now.

Just like 5speed struggled with his clutch flex hose, you will eventually prevail. If it gets too frustrating, walk away and come back later. Working angry breaks parts!

Good luck.

Tom Y
'63 330 America #5053
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Thanks for the encouragement Tom.
Ok, a bit of progress last night, Tom Yang's tip to jack up and wiggle the engine to free up the left heat shield worked so now I have access to the headers and motor mount. Unfortunately the header flanges are somewhat rusted to the studs preventing the header from releasing it's intimate contact with the head, so this will be the next challenge.
Last night my 11 year old son declared that he wanted to learn to drive in the GTC, I whole heartedly agreed but told him he needed to contribute, so I had him take off the air cleaner and take off those pesky manifold nuts...his little fingers sure were sore, is this child abuse?
IMAG0002 (640x361).jpg
IMAG0002 (640x361).jpg (181.65 KiB) Viewed 8006 times
Best Regards and Blue Skies from SoCal
Attachments
IMAG0003 (640x361).jpg
IMAG0003 (640x361).jpg (199.39 KiB) Viewed 8006 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Luckily, my 10 year old daughter has not asked to learn how to drive my Ferrari...yet! Your son's going to have to build up his calf muscles to depress a GTC clutch!

Sometimes the headers get jammed on the studs, and need some persuasion to get them to come off. With the bottom of the headers disconnected from the mufflers, try lightly hammering or wiggling the pipes to see you can get the header flange to move from the motor a little bit.

I'm glad the heat shields came off.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
racertodd

Post by racertodd »

Even better - have him do the driving test for his license in the GTC. How awesome would that be?

Todd
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Hi Tom in SoCal, that picture of your son is great! He will learn a great deal about cars etc. but also about patience, problem solving and the like. Also cool to be able to do it together.The hobby needs more young folks as by all reports it seems the car culture is not what it used to be.Good luck and keep us posted on the young man and his quest to pilot the red beast. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Thanks for the comments about my son...he's on the right track.

Here's an update on my motor mount replacement project. After trying to figure out the best way to remove the old mounts and experiencing some struggles I final got the old parts out. Here is a summary of what I ended up doing albeit with some the dead ends.

I removed both heat shields, with the left side being the most difficult. I removed the nuts from the lower mounts to jack up the engine slightly. then some gentle rocking of the engine finally freed the shield.

I then dropped the mufflers and removed front header pipes on both sides. With the engine jacked up slightly I used a heavy duty oil filter wrench and loosened the rubber portion of the mount and continued to unscrew it from the aluminum mount arm, then with some gentle rocking of the engine I was able to free up the rubber part and remove it.

One of the dead ends I encountered was attempting to remove the aluminum arm and the rubber in one piece, It was extremely difficult getting a wrench on those 17mm ATF nuts and after I had it loose I could not find a way to get it off and out...very frustrating, so I ended up bolting it back tight and using the oil filter wrench method outlined above.

In the end all I needed to remove was the heat shields and two front headers. If anyone cares to see a photo of the oil filter wrench I used just ask, It is a heavy duty type with folding arm, I did need to make a minor modification to make It work though. The whole process to remove the mounts probably took me 10-12 hours, but If I did it again It would likely only take 3 hours tops. Now on to installing the new parts....

Oh one other interesting fact. My car did not have the small half round aluminum heat shields that protect the rubber portion of the mount, and since there are no mounting holes anywhere on the mount to attach said shield I conclude my car never had this part.

I'll outline the install procedure as soon as I am able.
Best Regards from SoCal--Tom