GTC starter removal.

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

GTC starter removal.

Post by Jumprun »

After successfully changing out my motor mounts and needing to remove 3 of the 4 exhaust headers to do so, I decided to remove my starter motor because it would occasionally not engage, requiring multiple hits of the ignition key to get the car started.

Having read about the difficulty others have had removing the top starter nut I was shocked how easily I got to that nut and removed it PDQ. Since I didn't have a 16mm wrench on hand I used a standard 5/8" Craftsman open/boxed end wrench that slipped on snug with no modifications needed. I removed those nuts in minutes which allowed the starter to jump off the engine and into my greasy thankful hands....I must have done something to please the Ferrari gods so I plan to keep the faith and re-install the original factory unit.

I will now proceed to follow the detailed overhaul procedure for the starter motor in the shop manual. The only thing not clear is how much clearance is allowed between the installed nose bushing and the shaft.

Regards from Tom in SoCal
tyang

Re: GTC starter removal.

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom

You did all the hard work to get the starter off by getting the exhaust components off and out of the way. Getting the nut off the top stud is easy when someone put the correct 16mm nut in place.

Tom Y
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Also do not forget to rebuild or replace the solenoid, it is usually the failure mode that you noticed. Jim
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Here's an update on my starter refurbishment. I removed the starter and solenoid and proceeded to take it apart. It was instantly apparent why I was just hearing a "click" sometimes instead of that wonderful whirring sound of the starter engaging.
The solenoid contacts were almost entirely black and corroded, it's a wonder it engaged at all. I polished the contacts and posts with the only problem being that one of the threaded post insulating bushings cracked and disintegrated upon removal so I had to make a new one using some G-10 Phenolic and a lathe. I guess if you didn't have a lathe some epoxy molded around the stud would work fine too.

I also polished the commutator and replaced the nose bushing, inspected the brushes, greased the solenoid arm and pivot then cleaned everything up and bench tested it, it almost jumped off my bench when I hit it with 12volts.

I'm inclined to repair original parts rather than buy new and I would think any old fashioned generator shop should be able to refurbish it as well. Attached are the greasy pictures. The car now spins up satisfyingly fast with that nice old Ferrari sound.
starter.jpg
starter.jpg (76.03 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Glad you solved the problem, and she is working OK. Something for others to look for on the solenoid; If there is too much material removed or damaged on the contacts you may not be able to correct them. The rear contact plate and contacts are available, so a whole new solenoid does not have to be purchased.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

My solenoid contact were indeed quite pitted and eroded, so I did a minimum of polishing but I would be interested in knowing where new contacts can be bought for reference or if my repair turns out to be short lived.

--Tom in SoCal.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom, try the usual sources, but any Bosch rebuilder should have these in stock. The Marelli starters were licensed by Bosch and were made to their prints.