Correct Spark Plug Boots for a 330 GTC

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Correct Spark Plug Boots for a 330 GTC

Post by Steve Meltzer »

When the plug wires and boots (Whitaker) melted on my GTC, I called GT Car Parts in Az and Dave sent out boots that look nothing like what I have. When I queried him about this, he said he'd never seen plug boots like mine. So, what are the correct boots for my GTC. Here's what I have (but only 10!). Thanx and sorry to be taking up so much bandwidth with all of my questions. s
Attachments
spark plug boots Yang.jpg
spark plug boots Yang.jpg (235.08 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
linen grey ghost

Re: Correct Spark Plug Boots for a 330 GTC

Post by linen grey ghost »

Believe the ignition wires you have on your GTC are 1960s aftermarket as seen here: > http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251432197288?lpid=82

They are Whitaker Supronic III patent no. 3212044 - this would suggest that they were replaced in the distant past.

Hope this is of assistance.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Hey Linen Grey Ghost, thanx for your assistance! I came to the same conclusion after finding the same plugs (and some others) on eBay as well. Knowing they're incorrect, doesn't help me much 'cause over my nine years of ownership I've grown to really like them. Oh well, not sure what I'll do now. Thanx again for your help. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

The correct ends are Bosch. There are a rust colored bakelight material and are commonly found on 60s VW Bugs. These ends just screw onto the ignition wires and have a 1000 ohm resistor in them. I would bet the one's you received from GT are correct.

Cheers Jim
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx again, Jim...much appreciated.
steve meltzer,
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Steve, do you happen to have a photo of the terminal connectors GT sent you? I'm very familiar with the Bosch/Porsche item but wanted to see what GT thought was correct. Ironically when I decided to get out of the early Porsches and into Ferrari I liquidated at least 50 of those brown Porsche connectors, but they can be found in the Porsche network.

--Tom in SoCal
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Tom, thanx for the post. Please don't tell that the cognoscenti that I decided to keep my totally incorrect boots and JUST returned the others to GT Car Parts in Az. Might call Dave over there and see if they can shoot you a picture. The ones they sent me are about 3-4" in length, tapered, sort of orange Bakelite (I think), and appear to screw into the top of the plug....not push on. Thanx again for your interest and sorry they've already been mailed out. s
steve meltzer,
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Ok Steve, your description does sound like the old Bosch connectors for Porsche, they are somewhat long to reach into the recess. I'll also be changing my wires and connectors soon.
Not many folks know what is original on these Ferraris, unlike the old Porsches where the experts are legion and highly critical of anything less than what doctor Porsche ordered. There must be a dozen authoritative books about Porsche originality that document and photograph the most minute running changes and details. The challenge with the old Ferrari is the relatively low production numbers and knowledge base.

Regards from SoCal, --Tom
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

The VW Bakelite Plug connectors are original to the cars (330 GTC).
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Dyke, thanx for your post. Since I had 10 of the 12 already good to go, I decided to be a heretic and stick with the Whitakers, which are correct for some MOPAR products! Since they're both owned by the Fiat group now, maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. steve
steve meltzer,