Koni SHock Bushing Removal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

Koni SHock Bushing Removal

Post by DrewA »

Just got the front shocks out of a Daytona. Going to press out the bushings.

Have never done this before but have a 12 ton HF press.

Assume the outer metal part of the bushing that surrounds the rubber needs to come out. I don't think I have a sock that will fit exact. Have read threads where folks pushed out the rubber part then carefully cut out the outer ring trying not to damage the shock.

Any suggestions or should I just give to a machine shop.

Thanks,

Drew
tyang

Re: Koni SHock Bushing Removal

Post by tyang »

HI Drew,

We have outer sleeves from old shocks that have a slot cut out of them specifically for pressing these bushings out because once you push the bad one out, how do you get the collar our that you pressed in? The slot in the sleeve makes it easier to get it out when it's pressed in place.

If you don't have the exact size outer collar, you can try pressing out the inner collar and as much of the rubber bushing out as you can. After that, you can slide a saw-zall blade in and carefully cut out the outer collar making sure to leave the shock eye alone. Cut too far, and you'll have more work to do welding the eye back together. You may want to do the last bit of cutting by hand!

Good luck.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks Tom - appreciate. Sounds like a nice project for a Saturday afternoon.

One more question - do you normally replace the upper and lower rubber monuts the spring seats on against the shock. Seems like now would be the time to do it but I have never seen this covered before.

Drew
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Drew,

Use your discretion. If they're in good shape and not compressed, you can reuse them, but it's a good time to change them!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Again thanks Tom.

I'm thinking I will push out the center rubber then carefully hand cut out the outer ring. If I can get the outer ring out in one piece thinking I should be able to do just what you guys do and use it to press out the others.

Gotta love the hobby.

Drew
Timo

Post by Timo »

DrewA wrote:One more question - do you normally replace the upper and lower rubber monuts the spring seats on against the shock. Seems like now would be the time to do it but I have never seen this covered before.

Drew
Please keep in mind that to replace the spring seat cushions requires good spring compression equipment. I would not recommend attempting disassembly (or assembly) without really understanding the process. Serious injuries (or damage) can be achived easily with potential mishap.
Timo
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

I'm not about to even consider removing the springs myself. They go our for someone who has proper equipment.

Drew
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Just wanted to report back. I sent my old shocks and springs to TureChoice in Ohio along with new eyelet bushings and rubber spring perches. Very satisfied with the results including the painting. They pushed out the old eyelets, installed new, painted the springs, refirbished the shocks including having to make a new bodyfor one due to substantial corrosion, painted and reassembled. Good communication along the way - under two weeks turn time - reasonable cost.

Drew
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Drew, what made you not go to Koni, just curious. Everyone goes to Koni for rebuilds. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Hi John,

David Feinberg, a friend who runs a Ferrari service in NH, recommended them. Their turnaround time was 1-2 weeks where I believe Koni in TN was substantially longer.

I never compared price as the estimate I got from TrueChoice seemed reasonable.

Drew