Oil Change

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Oil Change

Post by John Vardanian »

It was time for an oil change and I went thru the routine, but just before buttoning things up (remembered the school days) I thought let’s go for that extra credit. I thought I’d remove the sump and wash things. Well, when the lid came off thing were just clean as can be and realized that I was about to waste many hours for nothing. But then I went for the rubber hose coupler, the thing felt like a jellyfish to touch and ripping it showed it had all de-laminated. I changed this seven years and 5200 miles ago!!!

What's lurking in your sump?

john

PF Coupe
DWR46

Re: Oil Change

Post by DWR46 »

John: I am not at all surprised to see this. From whom did you purchase the current hose?
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Dyke, got it from my local NAPA store. Do you have any suggestions? I was looking up gasoline grade hoses on McMaster Carr.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

Common problem when heater hose is used. The normal parts suppliers have the correct hose, but I'm sure an oil resistant hose is available from other channels. You just have to make sure the guy selling it to you knows what you're getting.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: I am with Tom, we always go to the "usual suspects" for this hose, as they have the correct material.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I got this from McMaster Carr: 54675K243, High-Temperature/Medium Pressure Chemical Hose, 1" ID, 1-9/16" OD, 450 PSI

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

This brings up an interesting difference between doing your own work, and a shop that gets paid to do the work. Most shops have their favorite parts supplier and try to make one call to order a part. There is often a wholesale price, but with Ferraris parts, sometimes the price is the price and there is no mark up. There is less money to be made in making phone calls to shop for parts over working on the cars, so we try our best not to spend much time on the phone.

Using this oil line as an example, whenever I need to change this one out, I call my supplier, tell him, "I need the soft oil hose between the oil pump and the pick up tube." He sends the hose, pre-cut, in the right diameter, and in the right material not to fail because he's sold hundreds of these before. I'm off the phone in less than 2 minutes, and will have the part in my hand by the next day. If I were going to order this hose from McMaster Carr, I would have to clean my hands, fire up the computer, go the the website, navigate the website, find the correct material by reading all the descriptions, go back to the engine, accurately measure the o.d. of the aluminum pipes, translate my measurements to the hoses they offer, and order a minimum length that will probably do enough for 6 cars. When the hose arrives, (luckily in a day or so because they're in NJ), I can install the hose and stock the rest for several months until I need one more. The money I saved the customer is now sitting in stock, and my time is unpaid.

Now that does not mean I don't do the research for parts from other sources, but that is only if the part is not available from the "usual suspects," but you can see why it's sometimes not worth my time or the customer paying for my time to "save"money on parts.

Now, it's taken me 15 minutes to write this post, but the time I spend on this website is a different story!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

John,

I do not recommend using the hose you ordered from McMaster Carr. The EPDM cover on it is not compatible with engine oil. I also have concerns with the base hose, the non fluoronated version of this material is also not compatible. The best hose material is viton or fluorocarbon. This material is expensive and maybe hard to get. Nitrile or Buna-N is the material commoning used with fuel and oil.

Cheers Jim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Jim, I got some more hose of the Buna-N type on both outer and inner.

Tom, the very things you dread is what I dig about this affair, but then again it's a hobby if it were a living I'd probably feel different. My outlook toward play cars has always been if it's not gonna break I don't want it. Though, I have to say Ferrari is a pretty damn reliable machine out of the box and just a little tweaking makes it that much more.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks Jim, I got some more hose of the Buna-N type on both outer and inner.

Tom, the very things you dread is what I dig about this affair, but then again it's a hobby if it were a living I'd probably feel different. My outlook toward play cars has always been if it's not gonna break I don't want it. Though, I have to say Ferrari is a pretty damn reliable machine out of the box and just a little tweaking makes it that much more.

john
Hi John,

I am certainly not discouraging your work, in fact I commend it for trying. I am always happy to hear of new things that guys like you have tried with success and can apply them with the benefit of the Ferrari Community!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Tom, not at all. You became an inspiration for guys like me when you started this website more than a decade ago.

Rubber parts are kind of hit and miss. I got a heater diaphragm from one of our suppliers it lasted two years. Then talking to a friend found out he had a similar experience. I then made one from inner tube that lasted a year. Then I ordered another one from another supplier, that was two years ago and my heat now again doesn't shut off. It's crazy, here along the coast you actually need heat in the summer, then you drive inland and you don't.

Jim, I ordered some of this now: 5283K16, so tell me I didn't screw up again.

john
PF Coupe
Yale

Post by Yale »

Think about how amazing it would be for both of us John if we lived near each other. My car exists in a constant state of broke. It could provide you with a lifetime of dirty hands with it's machinations.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

John Vardanian wrote: Jim, I ordered some of this now: 5283K16, so tell me I didn't screw up again.

john
Perfect that one will last a long time.

Cheers Jim
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I too, enjoy "the chase", and the repairs (when they go well) as much as any other aspect of our stewardship. For a thousand reasons, I'd never be able to do this for a living, but it's different when it's your avocation.

Here's another source of hose, Aeroquip in this case. I've always gotten a fair price, fast shipping, and no complaints about small orders. I'll can't attach the Aeroquip catalogue, so if you want it, just email me.

Hose Warehouse Aeroquip Murdock
Ask for Lynn: 330-535-7109 553 Carroll St. Akron Ohio 44304

Although I'm sure most of you already know this, when you're fighting with these hoses trying to get them on a very tight fit, heating up the end of the hose with a heat gun helps enormously.

steve
<scheherazade@swbell.net>
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I got a foot of the right hose from McMaster Carr, this is the real deal, truly oil proof inside and out, rated for temperature and pressure. This is the true McCoy, made by Goodyear and on it proudly declares "Made in USA". But, do you see anything wrong with it?

john

PF Coupe